Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guy's and gal's it finally came yesterday. Hopefully I will shoot my third 100 straight and get to the 27 with this gun. It is a Ithaca Dollar Grade. Also for you guys out there my LOVELY wife Liz loaned me the money to buy this gun on Valentines Day. Never ask why she is the Love of My Life.

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00564.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>
<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00565.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>
<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00566.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought this gun from an 80's something year old gentleman who shoots 4 times a week still. He was a gunsmith the last 23 years of his working career. He bought this gun new in 1980 and it has shot 1 box of shells. He now shoots nothing but Vintage Charles Daly Guns. He says they are good guns but you have to work on them all the time and if parts break you have to make your own! Bill

·
Vendor
19,941 Posts
Wait now... I thought these guns were made back a long time ago.

Purty Wild Bill. Purty

Bring me up to speed on the date of mfgr.

J

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok here is what I get from books by Walter Snyder and Frank Conley. Ithaca's high grade guns were originally Sousa grade guns. It was 1916 and they sold for 500.00. Named after John Philip Sousa. For you guys younger than 50 he was a famous big band director/composer. He was also one of America's best known trapshooters. By 1937 the Sousa name had lost it,s glitter so the gun was renamed the $1000. grade. In 1945 it became the $1500 grade, 1955 the $2000. grade, 1959 the $2500 grade, 1959 the $2500 grade, 1965 the $3000 grade, 1970 it became the $4500. grade, 1975 $5000 grade, 1979 6500 grade, 1980 they became dollar grade guns. Records from 1977 show it took 160 hours to engrave one of thes guns. My gun was the 4th dollar grade produced and engraved bt Bill
Mains. Bill

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
If she did that for her hubby... just think what she will do for her boyfriend!! HEHEHEHEHEHE joking of course!

All kidding aside.. your one lucky man !! Gotta a woman and a gun !!

WesleyB

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
Bill, Only a couple of comments for you, 1) YOU are a lucky man! 2) That is one of the most beautiful guns I've seen to say I'm envious understatement. Thanks for posting the picture, shoot it and enjoy it. I have decided to shoot enjoy my "collector" and really do enjoy shooting it!

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well after 3 weeks it finally quit snowing long enough to shoot it. Haven't shot a round of trap since first of Nov. Shot a 21 nfirst round and ran the next 50. off to a great start. Brown County here we come. LOL Bill

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Bill Mains, Wow!! Would be nice to sit down with him and the gun and talk about those days...

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mike, I have a 5e he engraved also and had a chance to sit and talk to him last year at the Great Lakes Grand. It was very interesting. Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.