Trapshooters Forum banner

knee surgery - how long before I can shoot?

2549 Views 29 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  ezz555
I have partial knee replacement of the medial compartment of the right knee scheduled for mid May. For those of you who have had this surgery, what was your experience with when you were able to shoot again?
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
15,945 Posts
Never had the surgery, but several friends have (full replacements).

Two issues that hinder them in activities - PAIN and lack of STABILITY. These vary from person to person, but as long as you hurt or don't feel solid when standing shooting will be tough.

One of my best friends broke his leg skiing (titanium rod in the tibia) - I spent the better part of a spring taking him shooting. He shot form a wheelchair with fairly good results. Once fully healed he was back at it in no time at all.

· Registered
718 Posts
In June 20, 2018, at age 39, I had a complete rupture of my patellar tendon and a torn ACL. I had emergency surgery the next morning and spent 5 days in the hospital due to complications. Prior to discharge, the Dr talked to me about possible need for cadaver tendon replacement, fusion of the leg, or possible amputation. Amputation was only mentioned as a possible way to allow me to keep my job. I was given bad odds of ever returning to work or walking right again.

Just to add to the situation, my wife was 6 months pregnant with my first child, and we were having some pretty severe complications.

On July 19,2018, almost one month later to the day, I shot a sporting clays benefit shoot and pulled a 91/100 out of my butt. Walked the entire course in a straight brace with a walker.

September 6, 2018, my beautiful little girl was born, completely healthy.

October archery found me only able to use my ladder stand, but I used my climber for rifle season.

July 1, 2019, I had my yearly physical assessment and completed my mile run in 7:13.

Good luck with your surgery, do what the docs tell you to, but most of all keep your mind in the right place. I went through some really dark times from the time of my accident until my little one was born.

· Registered
718 Posts
I am not a strict trap shooter, I enjoy all of the shooting sports. My father has late stage Parkinson’s, and I watched him give up on the shooting sports well before he needed to. I’m only 41 years old, it really bothers me to see so many guys give up after injury/surgery.

· Registered
1,299 Posts
I have partial knee replacement of the medial compartment of the right knee scheduled for mid May. For those of you who have had this surgery, what was your experience with when you were able to shoot again?
The reality is nobody can answer this but you, everyone heals at a different rate, you need to do things at your own pace and not extend yourself and most of all listen to your doctor.

· Registered
183 Posts
I've had partial joint replacements in both knees. Number one best thing you can do is dedicated, aggresive physical therapy. I don't exactly remember how long it was before I was on the firing line but, I would estimate is was 3 months.

Reactions: Packman 13

· Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Recoilless
1,633 Posts
I've had two full knee replacements. It's extremely important you don't twist your upper body without turning your lower half at the same time for a minimum of 8-12 weeks. It takes at least that much time for the muscle to build around the joint to keep the ball from popping out of the joint. They told me just remember nose over toes. I was hunting snow geese on backboards at 4 1/2 weeks but had to have someone there to grab me just in case while getting up and down off the ground. I'd just bring a folding stool to shoot from for the first 2-3 months if it were me. As mentioned above do the physical therapy assigned and you'll do good. If you skip it or do it half heartedly you'll never be right again as a couple friends found out. You have to work through the pain but after a week or two it won't hurt to do it any longer. I am two years in on the left knee and 1 year on my right and can do everything I could when I was 20. I can run, squat, get up and down on my knees etc. I ride a bike daily too. It is a great low impact strength builder for your leg muscles especially around the knee joints.

· Registered
700 Posts
Been there, done that! Mine was a full. It is all about regaining stability. Go to PT, do what they say and hopefully you will recover quickly. DO NOT OVER DO IT! Each person has a different healing process. Take your time, it is not worth the pain and suffering of injuring it again. Good luck with your recovery and surgery.

· Registered
2,361 Posts
I have a full replacement on left and outside half on my right. The half knee is way behind better product when it came to healing and kneeling on later. With my half knee I was walking with out a walker in just under a week and walking up stairs at just over 2 weeks. I was shooting crows out of a chair on my deck on day 5. Trap at the club on week 3. Good luck. I like my half knee. Can’t tell they ever did that one. Notice my full replacement my knee cap is broken. I fell on the ice a busted it up. The pad they put on the back of the knee cap broke loose and is lodged off to the side. It’s not bothering me so we are leaving it be for now.

Attachments

· Registered
2,767 Posts
I am only guessing but if you can hold a gun up, and point it parallel to the ground and move the muzzle about 6 inches in all directions, you should be able to shoot. I don't know about getting to the field though. I have seen people shoot from a chair both with four legs, and wheels.

· Premium Member
218 Posts
Tractor Boy,

I had a partial knee replacement in 2005. I'm having the same knee (rt) redone with a total on May 11th.

If I recall correctly, it was 3 months after the first operation I was back shooting.

Be happy to exchange notes with you on your new knee.

Best of luck and do yourself a favor, PT take it seriously. Not a bad idea to start doing some type of PT pre operation.

Bill

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.