Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my knee replaced the day after Christmas.every thing is OK but i cant sleep.no matter how i lay in the bed i cant get comfortable.any one have any ideas i would like to hear them.thanks
tracy

·
Registered
691 Posts
are you taking your pain meds as proscribed. There is a reason for that. You have to stay ahead of the pain. Is it the pain or discomfort keeping you awake. I had both knees done and no trouble after I left hospital care. Ken

·
Premium Member
12,318 Posts
Don't want to scare you, but better to know up front...

There is a small possibility that you have a blood clot. One of the symptoms of this is restless sleeping - there is reduced perfusion and the O2 lack to the area tends to keep you from sleeping.

There are a host of other causes - a reaction to one of the meds they have you on, an infection, early type II diabetes - the list goes on and on.

Most all are manageable, but the clot issue has real risks so I mention it first.

Fast recovery...

·
Registered
905 Posts
When I had my knee work on 15 years ago I had the same problem for about two weeks. The doctor told me to take my meds and keep my leg moving on that CPM machine. I took the CPM machine to bed with me and I had my leg moving all night long, after about 4 weeks I no longer needed the CPM and I could get a good night sleep. Its just is going to take time and the more that you keep it moving the better off your going to be.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Had mine done last Feb. I didn't sleep for more than 40 minutes or so at a time for quite a while and I did all the right stuff and didn't have any complications. I hated nights because I knew what was coming. I've had both hips replaced and only took a couple pain pills after I got home for the first one, none for the second one. I went through three prescriptions with the knee and sometimes I wondered if they really made any difference.

Some folks get through them relatively easily. For others, it is a more memorable experience. I hope like heck I don't ever need to get the other one done. It was that much fun!
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Friend of mine had both done withing 3 weeks for total replacements. Rebab and doing what therapist says. Was painfull.

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
It'll get better as the year goes on. Have patience or take something to help you sleep better. Shoulders are even worse but in both cases there's a ton of internal healing going on in there and your no where near healed up from the surgery yet. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts