Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The gas engine starts just fine, but there's no electricity to light up a standard bulb in a trouble light.

First I checked the reset switches to be sure they weren't blown and I got continuity between the two screws, on each switch.

upload_2016-8-1_16-2-33.png

Then I checked the bridge rectifier you can see as the square can on the right in the picture above. I followed the directions here and it tested fine.

The only thing left, that I can see worth replacing besides the whole generator is the voltage regulator. Testing one of those isn't so easy. I've only found one decent video and it was for a car part where you swap in an alternate power source and see if you get juice. Not quite sure how to do that.

upload_2016-8-1_16-9-5.png

Here's what it looks like from the other side. I'm about to order one from Sears and see if it fixes the problem, but I hate to be a parts hack.

upload_2016-8-1_16-21-1.png

Ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
12,011 Posts
Generators are interesting creatures.

They need a small external current (called an excitation current) to start the production of electricity. Most automotive ones gain this from the battery that provides the starting current for the starting motor - it is hooked into the circuit, so why not?

I suspect the capacitor on your voltage regulator is providing that excitation current - and from the looks of it it is fried... thus, your replacing it will most likely fix the problem.

The down side is I suspect that the regulator isn't going to be cheap...

Reactions: joe kuhn

·
Premium Member
3,456 Posts
That part is called an avr.
Automatic voltage regulator
You can get one one Amazon. $10
I have the square one or I would give you mine

My honda em2200 took a dump last month

·
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I found the whole regulator for $5, but the dimensions were different. Sears has them for $37.50 which isn't bad considering the unit was free to the guy I'm fixing it for. Plus the new vr is all different. Leads me to believe this style may have been faulty.

·
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plus I have a picture that didn't turn out of a bunch of fuzzy white stuff that came out when I took the cover off where the voltage regulator sits. I'll get the part.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,766 Posts
What Ed said. When using a generator, it's important to not let it run out of fuel when there's a load on it or THIS could happen. Also, likemybrownies comment is very true. You won't find parts for Chines stuff.

·
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you flash a generator with a reversible drill? I've done a search and cannot find anything on it here.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,766 Posts
So then the voltage regular gets blown out? How?
No, but you'll lose your field. While the generator is running, plug in the drill, have it on the reverse setting and spin the chuck with the drill trigger engaged.

·
Premium Member
12,011 Posts
They are talking about charging/un-charging the capacitor that gives the excitation current. I think yours is blown anyway so I doubt this trick will work. IMHO

·
Premium Member
3,456 Posts
Let me know working on my honda em2200
Replaced carbon brushes. And car no a.c. or dc .
Motor runs great

·
Molon Labe
11,984 Posts
I have a pto driven generator and a 6500 LP they sit for years at a time but have never failed to work when I crank them, guess those are good capacitors

Are you sure that some f them don't have a small generator inside them with permanent magnets so create the power to excite the field? I think I saw something about that a while back but may be mistaken

1 - 20 of 62 Posts