Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking at a gun that has Kimmerly double releases. Should I avoid the because of the triggers? I appreciate any opinions either pro or con. thanks.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Kemmerly made good triggers for a long time and then inexplicably his work was crap. I have a friend with a Kemmerly release in his KS-5 that has worked flawlessly for years. Examine the trigger and if it looks well made it probably is.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Tell us what kind of shotgun with a release that you are looking at and I can give you a little insight. Merle made releases for different makes and some were better than others! He made a couple for me. I knew him well and was in his shop lots of times. Some of his work was very good and some was pure junk............

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I would advise shooting the gun before buying (if at all possible)and make your decision based on the performance of the trigger. Merle made some really good parts and some that were really bad.....you just never knew what you were going to get!!! Merle was a character!!! I thought a lot of that old man and will always remember how he helped me when I started back shooting in 97'............

·
Premium Member
3,088 Posts
I believe Mr. Kemmerly passed away several years ago. However, years ago, many on the ts.com were critical of his triggers, if memory serves me correctly. I would have to see it and shoot his releases before I would purchase.

Reactions: donegal shooter

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
do you mean a Beretta DT-10 ??? I have a double kemmerly release in my DT-10, I shot this trigger 15 years and many thousand rounds, Merle passed away is correct.... I sent this trigger to Phillips to have it checked after all those years of shooting after I purchased a new DT-11, had one wore pin that Phillips found, i use this gun as a backup, At the time I was looking to have a double release made for the DT-10 there wasn't many gunsmith's that built them.....shoot it and see how you like it.....Steve

·
Registered
94 Posts
I also had Kemmerly make a double release for my DT-10 at about the same time--2003 or 2004 I think. My experience wasn't good. He apparently had trouble removing the trigger because there were plier marks on the trigger guard. It worked fine for only 2 weeks till one of the release hooks broke. I sent it to Phillip for a redo and was happy with the result. I understand that some of his work was good but I wouldn't buy the gun without inspecting the trigger.

·
Premium Member
3,088 Posts
Sounds like Mr. Kemmerly built triggers they way I shoot...

Great one day & crummy the next.

R.I.P.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Phillip's is the best, i have two complete double releases built by him for my DT-11,,, I will add that when i first got my DT-10 and needed a release trigger done i had Spears build the first one, it was Release /Pull, it acted up and they wouldn't work on it even tho they built it, so i got a complete trigger group and sent it to kemmerly this time, like i said, i used that one for many happy years till the new gun bug bit me....I'm sure there are many differences in a persons work, some day good ...some days bad, such is life....

·
Banned
10,214 Posts
Given the sketchy reports on Mr. Kemmerly triggers I would suggest you walk away and look elsewhere. If you want release triggers, buy a Beretta and have a known, trusted gunsmith install them, then you know exactly what you have.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone who responded, I will take the advice and shoot the gun before making a decision. Once again thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts