Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met tonight with an athletic director and several interested parties about starting trapshooting as a varsity sport here in Kentucky. To say the least , they were excited. I would like for all Kentucky Trapshooters to encourage high school students to get their school to start a team. We are not sanctioned by KHSAA at this time but we can get things started. We have a website, kyclaytarget, but I was not able to get on yet. I am a little jealous of Minnesota getting the jump on us. mnclaytarget.com is a great source of information... Let's get it going.

Charlie

·
Registered
951 Posts
Good work Charlie. Every one has to start somewhere and it looks like you got the ball rolling.

Here in Wisconsin the ball started a couple of years ago and is snow balling nicely.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
You might want to get in contact with the Nebraska game and parks commission and get some information from them as well. Nebraska has the largest state high school shoot in the United States. Good luck either way!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Be sure to talk to the ARK folks. AK WPF Mr. Charles Woodson (I think) STELLAR program! We have squat in Ms in the schools and I started a shooting sports club at Miss. State about four years ago. If I can help you with what we went through to get the college to allow a shooting club, let me know. I may can help overcome some of their concerns without your having to re-invent the wheel. Jim Porter 662-694-1415

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
Charlie, Your efforts are appreciated. It is good to see folks like you who actually care about the sport and it's future and Those Kids ARE it's future!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Charlie I would be very interested in helping you with this. Been trying to get the schools here in eastern ky to get this a varsity start. Let me know if I could help out!

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a call today from Nicholas County lady that is involved with youth shooting there. I am convinced that this is going to go over. No injuries, no bench warmers, great fun, what's not to like!

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Charlie I would be very interested in helping you with this. Been trying to get the schools here in eastern ky to get this a varsity start. Let me know if I could help out!
Call me, 859 259 1662

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I would seriously consider partnering with the SCTP. It's a national program with major industry support that allows states, teams, conferences to tailor programs to your athletes needs.
1. The Insurance umbrella over athletes and volunteers is ONE OF A KIND!!!
2. The relationship the SCTP has with Midway USA Foundation for fundraising activities.
3. Background check system for coaches.
4. SHOT scoring system that can be tailored for leagues, conferences and shoots.
5. The SSSF gave over $60,000 in scholarships last year.
6. Clinics and Camps (Such as the JODC camps for coaches and athletes in Colorado Springs.)
I could go on with more.... The benefits of the SCTP are worth every penny!

We have over 70 teams with over 2400 athletes in Wisconsin and growing, we have grown into multiple High School Conferences with over 50 High School-based teams.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KHSAA sends survey out to gauge interest. Trapshooting got 35 and needed 50. At Blue Grass we are striving to have a non KHSAA State High School Trapshooting Tournament which Blue Grass will host and provide trophies. Watch BGSLINC. com for postings. I am requesting my trapshooting friends to try to get their local schools to get this going in their area.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The MN High School Clay Target League had approximately 9600 shooters in 2015. 5620 attended the 6 day state shoot. They claim it to be the largest clay target event by number or participants in the world. (I'm not sure what the Cornhusker or Grand American numbers were but suspect significantly less) The league is a non profit corporation and the principals are now involved in WI, ND, IL, KS and USA High School Clay Target Leagues as well. I would contact them and see what they have to offer. They have a history of getting things done. I attended the 2015 MN High School Clay Target League State Shoot and have never witnesses anything that impressive in my shooting experience. Well run, well organized and well done. Hard to find a club in MN without youth shooters these days. Much different than 10 short years ago. A juggernaut to be sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would seriously consider partnering with the SCTP. It's a national program with major industry support that allows states, teams, conferences to tailor programs to your athletes needs.
1. The Insurance umbrella over athletes and volunteers is ONE OF A KIND!!!
2. The relationship the SCTP has with Midway USA Foundation for fundraising activities.
3. Background check system for coaches.
4. SHOT scoring system that can be tailored for leagues, conferences and shoots.
5. The SSSF gave over $60,000 in scholarships last year.
6. Clinics and Camps (Such as the JODC camps for coaches and athletes in Colorado Springs.)
I could go on with more.... The benefits of the SCTP are worth every penny!

We have over 70 teams with over 2400 athletes in Wisconsin and growing, we have grown into multiple High School Conferences with over 50 High School-based teams.

·
Registered
12 Posts
SCTP not only covers the coaches with 5 million, the SCHOOL itself gets its own 5 million. Certificate of insurance can be requested and send straight to the school with there name listed on it. Perfect for the school district. I can provide all the information you need and contacts from other states that are already using SCTP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts