Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some solutions to keeping the stock dry or at least not so slippery when the sweat never seems to stop dripping?

·
Krieghoff K80
2,482 Posts
Wipe it dry occasionally (along with your head) with the shooting towel you should have hanging from your belt on exceptionally hot/humid days. Lightweight gloves helps with your grip also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a towel that's always hanging by my side, but I'm a pretty heavy sweater and can never seem to stay one step ahead of the sweat. I had a friend that shot precision pistol and used Right Guard antiperspirant to keep his hands from sliding on the grip. He said it worked great when he got sweaty, do you think this would work on a shotgun or would it ruin the finish?

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
I sweat like a garden hose and I use a cooling towel I got at Lowes under my shirt and chill it sponge headbands.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
What are some solutions to keeping the stock dry or at least not so slippery when the sweat never seems to stop dripping?
I have a towel hanging on my vest all the time and I wear a right hand Foot-Joy synthetic leather golf glove on my trigger hand.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Along with shooting gloves, I've found that those tight fitting, knit sun proction/cooling long sleeve shirts made by Columbia sportswear, and others, offer protection from the sun, and relief from sticky, sweaty, forearm contact with the stock. After having recoil patches sewn in, they've become an important part of my shooting clothing, and have replaced the shooting vest.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Growing a beard helps to avoid a sweaty face on the stock. A big beard is no problem until it is long enough to get caught in the action when you close your gun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't shoot in the Summer.
I always tell our team of kids that if we only shoot on nice days in Iowa, we wouldn't shoot very often. Of course this is usually on a day that it's either cold or windy or both, but it also applies to the heat. There wasn't much dry space on a shooter's body last week at the Iowa State Shoot.

Towels are a must.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Growing a beard helps to avoid a sweaty face on the stock. A big beard is no problem until it is long enough to get caught in the action when you close your gun.
I keep the edges of my action razor sharp so when my long beard get in, it's automatically trimmed. Everyone should have a long beard, and a sheet over their head with a fan belt from a Corvair to hold it in place. Keeps you cool, but be careful, there are are some side effects.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I found a headband that actually works (Nike Speed Performance Headband) and a towel to occasionally wipe my cheek and stock. I was amazed at the headband as it is the dri-fit material and fits under a hat but I could pull the headband down to my eyebrows and not have it interfere with my vision. I got tired of losing targets while I was thinking about the bead of sweat poised on my brow ready to drop into my eye when I called the target. Shot in NJ and PA Grand's with this headband and it helped ... the heat still killed me but the bead of sweat is gone and my stock is a lot dryer.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I shoot in Fla. I wear a long sleeve (similar to "under armor") and I keep a micro fiber towel in my one pouch. I wipe the sweat off my cheek with the shirt sleeve before I mount the gun. I use the towel
in between shots. I sweat like a banshee.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts