Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Kay Ohye's DVD he advocates turning your chin in towards the stock when you mount your gun. Do any of you do this and are there any advantages for doing it.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
I think it has to do with locking in the mount...

But, hey, what does Kay know...

Or Nora, for that matter...lol

·
Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
Jerry Nelson told me years ago at the Grand to turn my head/eyetooth into the stock as the 2nd lockpoint.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
You can't argue with Kay's success, he is the only shooter to win all 5 of the Grand's championship rings. The odd thing about trapshooting is that what works well for one may not work for another. Leo always preferred to bring the gun to his face, not put his face down to the gun, but that is just what worked best for him and helped him to win more Grand rings than anyone else on record.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
When you go to the ATA website and look at that picture of Phil Kiner you can readily see that his eyes are level but it sure looks to me like his head is turned into the stock.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Somewhere on here there is a discussion and pictures of mounting the gun this way.

·
Registered
14,123 Posts
With your head as parallel to the gun as possible in both axis, your eyes are as centered in their sockets as they can be, giving you the widest field of view possible.

A right handed shooter turning their head into the gun will greatly limit the field of view to the left, and induce eye strain on every shot. Prob not a good thing on post 5 if you're set up for a hard right and the bird comes out as a straightaway.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Dang, if I didn't just mount my gun in front of a mirror. My head is rotated to the right.

If I just kindof twist it a little the other way my jaw does press into the stock and it seems I'm more locked into the gun. Since I have no issues with "stock kick", I'm going to shoot a few rounds and add that "twist" to it. Thanks, you never know what's going to give you a little edge.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I was told you nose leads everything and your nose should be pointed in the direction of target when pointing the target, which means your nose should be parallel to the barrel or turned slightly inward.

Surfer

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of an accomplished shooter not turning their head to some degree into the stock....

Unless your dislexic, you'd have to have a helluva bend in that stock to get your eye inline with the centerline of the gun...

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Britt's head was down, Hall's straight up, Carmichael's a little canted, Barnhart's very canted, Willoughby's completely over stock, Bonillas upright. Some All Americans hard on stock, some light. Some are alike but it's what suits you, makes you one with the gun is the only RIGHT.

milt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts