Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have known Kay since 1974, when I first started shooting I was lucky to break in the high 80. I asked him for some help there was 3 of us Jim Sal and myself we trained on drills and he was strong mined and tough back then. Guess what of the 3 of us I was the last to break my first 100 it took me a good year and some but I and the other2 guys done it many more times. I have won trophy in many state shoots, he not only teaches how to shoot but how to win. Thank you Kay for your help. His teaching are not to make friends but competers to shoot and win. Ed Zimmermann

·
Registered
116 Posts
Fellow Trap Shooters,

I have taken Frank Hoppe's clinic twice, including one just last weekend.

Not only is Frank a superb instructor and analyzer of your strengths and weakness, he is also a gentleman and wonderful raconteur.

He will delight his students with great stories and reminiscences.

I highly recommend his clinics.

Thanks,

Peter Greenspan

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I want to know what the hell I need to do to improve. If he is tough, that is fine with me.

I paid for his clinic next week at the Great Lakes Grand. Due to work "crap" I may not be able to go. I offered my spot to the SOB who got me addicted to this darn game and he JUMPED at the chance.

I hope I disappoint my friend and make it to the class.

If I have my head up my a$$, then I expect Kay to tell me.

If I do not follow his advice, he has every right to "dress me down".

If I can EARN his respect then I have done well. He has my respect for what he has accomplished.

Maybe his style is not for everyone - I doubt he gives a rat$ a$$.

I hope to report back next week.

Don

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having been "taken" by Mr Ohye 19 years ago, it became obvious that his main goal was to produce All Americans as "notches" on his K80. As he could easily see, I did not fit his goal.
For example, we were promised to learn how to find POI the proper way. When he did not bring it up, I asked him when we would be taught the "proper way".
He took me to the nearest gravel pit, pointed out a rock about 12" in diameter and about 20 yds away and told me to fire at it, which I did. I fired once and he said that my POI was OK and left.
Fooled once, shame on HIM, fooled twice, shame on ME! Once was enough for me.
There were many other non-professional acts but most were covered here.
I do not believe that this is whining as many of the complaints would be subject to consumer protection in many states. But Caveat Emptor may be all that is needed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just because you are are a good shooter does NOT make you a good teacher.Find someone who is a good teacher and a good shot ,thats the trick.....Don

·
Registered
725 Posts
Like anything in life not every one is right for every thing and or any one. It's easy to see as you read through the thread that Kay has had a positive impact on a multitude of shooters. If you feel that Kay's style is not for you their are other fantastic instructors out their like Frank Hoppe, Harlan Campbell, Leo Harrison, Nora Ross, Daro Handy, Ricky Marshall, Phil Kiner etc.

Kay Ohye training methods and mannerisms may "not" be for everyone, but you can't argue his success or those that he has successfully coached. You just need to find what works for you! Good shooting

Rick Brohmer

·
Registered
452 Posts
Interesting, Lang. Yours was one of my specific complaints about the "clinic" I attended a couple of years ago, so I guess Mr. Ohye's teaching methods haven't changed much. In my case it was a clump of weeds, but pretty much the same results.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Or Harlan`s. Gordie Howe of hockey fame. Absolute Genius as a player, fine man. Couldn`t teach a thing. Better/best coaches are the ones a little short on talent but long on work ethic. Kay apparently shoots 100-300 straightaways as a warmup to practice. I am fortunate to find the time and $$ to shoot 50straights then 25 apiece from one and five. Jack Nicklas as a kid would hit a thousand golf balls a dsy. Jackie Stiles of all time leading womans Basketball scorer shot one thousand baskets a day. Repetition makes the master; perfect practice makes perfect. You want to improve? Lift wts and do some cardio. Take a class, then wear out your gun. In one video Kay shows his Fajen stock, this ones all worn out he says, I have never come close to wearing my equipment out.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.