Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just was thinking of going out to hunt in Jan. Any opinions of what part of the state? Thanks. Mark

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Maybe didn't skip Church, I had Uncles that would shoot pheasants from the car window on there way home from Church , with .22. (I have asked them, do u think if you followed the rules would we have any birds here now?) not much answers. NW Ohio was a real hotspot for pheasants back in the day
DaveB

·
Registered
461 Posts
My buddies and I are headed out Friday to around Courtland Ks. to see what's up. Last year we saw a lot of birds but they were already savvy and flushed early. We did see more quail then I've seen in a long time. Hopefully after a mild summer the hatching was a good one and we'll have some luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was in eastern KS on opening weekend. Saw lots of Quail. Not so many pheasants - and the ones we saw were running well ahead of the dogs.

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
I was in eastern KS on opening weekend. Saw lots of Quail. Not so many pheasants - and the ones we saw were running well ahead of the dogs.
You weren't holding your mouth right.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
My buddies and I are headed out Friday to around Courtland Ks. to see what's up. Last year we saw a lot of birds but they were already savvy and flushed early. We did see more quail then I've seen in a long time. Hopefully after a mild summer the hatching was a good one and we'll have some luck.
Interesting, I was born and raised 7 mi. north of Courtland. Shot a lot of pheasants and quail in that area. My brother lives in Republic. Our family farm is north on the Courtland road.

Steve

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just got home. We hunted private land south of Courtland Ks. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We saw a LOT of quail, I would say we flushed as many as nine different covey's. Most had at least six to ten birds in each covey. We came away with ten birds. Pheasants on the other hand were poor. Covered a lot of ground and came away with only four roosters. Again was impressed with the quail population but don't have a clue why the pheasant's are doing so poorly. Lot of cover plenty of food.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Mark, the weather has been too nice. Wait until the first snow or real cold spell and give it a try again. The birds have not really bunched up yet. We have found that many of the birds are out in the milo and corn fields feeding most of the day due to the mild weather we've been having. Good luck on your next hunt.

Steve

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I was in quinter last weekend I saw several bunches of pheasants that is a better sign than the last several years. With extra rain that area got in the summer the cover is better than ever. If they have a mild winter the birds should be on the comeback. Ron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts