Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if C.E. Barnhart is still around the Kansas City area. Really always enjoyed visiting with C.E. in Raytown as he was the life of any shooter gathering. Anyone know if he is still active in shooting or around the area?

Roger Smith Wichita, KS

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Roger : Last time I talked to C.E. was at the Mo State shoot last May . He was there watching one of his grandsons shoot . He looks really old but his memory and sense of humor seemed quite good on that day .KS-OKIE...John Wiegand

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I seen him last year too Roger.

I would say he is doing good for his age.

He is shooten a few squirrels and catching crappie for his pursuits now days.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Martin.

Neal just emailed me saying that Barney moved to be closer to fishing in Missouri and is planning to attend the Grand HOF this year. I may have to go to see some old timers at the HOF and also see Sparta for the first time.

Roger

·
Registered
66 Posts
Barney lives near Clinton, MO and reached the ripe old age of 90 this past year. Healthwise, he is doing pretty well. His memory is very poor at times, however. His son and daughter took him to the Grand this past summer to meet up with some old friends. He's still full of personality and he still won't give up his secret crappie spot.

Lori Bumsted

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Man, I used to watch him and Myron Willoughby just SMOKE targets at the old Elliotts club in Raytown when I was a kid. My dad used to shoot with them at registered shoots and on the league about a hundred years ago. My dad actually won his one and only car at that club, a 1964 Mustang. Took the money instead, a whopping 3 grand. That was a great old club. John

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Photo from the last day at Elliott`s Shooting Park. Raytown, Missouri.
Don`t think Barney is in the photo, hard to believe he wasn't there that day. Myron Willoughby is in the photo...

Sportalluring
sportalluring_2008_030384.jpg

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Maybe my most prized possession. This sign designated Barney's private parking spot at Elliott's Shooting Park in Raytown, MO. As I remember, Myron and Jay Smith (Elliott's manager) also had their own designated parking spot. Barney gave me this souvenir the week Elliott's closed forever (sad, sad day). I could not attend as the last day was way to emotional for me. So I have this prize from my all time favorite spot on God's earth and from my best friend...ever.

milt

mette56_2008_0807247.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I noticed in the 1958 photo that the Winchester Model 12 appears to be the Gun of Choice. What was the Shotgun most used by Barney in the 1960's ? Thanks, Storeman ... Former Club Photographer for Elliott's - 1969 to 73.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Below is an excerpt from a 2007 article by Johnny Cantu about Ljutic.

C.E. “Barney” Barnhart was another trap great who enjoyed success with a Ljutic trap gun. Barney was a tremendously talented shooter and had the honor, by virtue of his great performances, to be named to the All-American Men’s Team for 16 consecutive years from 1958-1973 and again in 1978. The #8 Ljutic Mono Gun Barney used was unfortunately destroyed in the fire of October 1964. The gun was later replaced by the Ljutics.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Pheasantmaster---you're correct. Barney did shoot a Broadway for a while. In the 20 plus years I squadded with him, he changed guns often...and would try any new trap gun that was introduced. From O/U's to Autos. He ended his career shooting a Beretta Auto. Once, back in the early 80's, Barney missed his 200th target in the Dayton Homecoming for a 199 with a high rib Beretta Auto with 32" barrel and blond laminated Fajen stock, and then another 199 in the Clay Target some years later with a Beretta Auto (not the same gun).

Barney was always "jacking" with his guns and did not shoot a high POI. Once he showed up at Elliott's with a new MX8. After shooting it some, he complained that the chokes were way to tight and he was taking it to Simmons to have it opened up. Next time he showed up at the GC, I and a few others met him in the parking lot as he got out of his Lincoln. He put the MX8 together and turned the gun barrel towards the ground. Out of the top barrel came a 50 cent piece. Barney said..."Now there...that's better". Upon further inspection, the 50 cent piece was one of those rubber band fold up gimmick pieces. That was back in the day when we all used a dime to gauge a choke (remember that?).

Barney was a hoot. Just ask me about his custom made elk call.

milt

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
mette56_2008_0807251.jpg

mette56_2008_0807252.jpg

Sorry for such poor quality pictures---scanner must be to old to trot?

First picture taken at Elliott's upstairs dining room. Seated are (left to right)Barney, unknown, Don Ewing and........Martin Wilbur (PHEASANTMASTER) (yes Devi---that's your hubby). Second picture I added to show what only people who watched Barney shoot over the years knew. He was smooth as silk. It was said that he looked like he was caressing the gun. All I know is that he had grace and style along with an ability like few others possessed. First three pics taken at Elliott's and 4th taken at the '94 Grand. His gun (on the ground) is a Beretta Auto--390 I believe.

milt

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Gina, that's not me on post two. That's Phil Matthews. Post one is Virgil Pitman. That pic was taken at Linn Creek.

I have many pics from Elliotts, ElDorado Springs (where Barney and I were on a 499/500 squad together). Barney and I shot together on two 499/500 squads and one 498/500 (at 7-10 GC). Barney was not responsible for any of those 4 lost targets...neither was Eddie Schneider.

I'll have them all re-done and get them to you and Tommy next week or so.

Love and hugs to your mom and dad...you 2!

milt

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Thanks for the info on Barney's Guns of Choice. I wonder if he ever had anything to do with a Win. SX-1 Trap since this was Winchesters idea of upgrading the famous Model 12 Trap (Simmons Rib). For now I am inspired to go back to my Beretta 390 auto with a 32" high step rib barrel and give it another test run. If it was good enough for Barney then it's good to go. Thanks, Storeman ... Proud to have been a part of Elliott's by actually living on the grounds in a rental cabin for 3 years. I woke up to an alarm clock of guns going off every Sat. & Sunday morning. I can still hear them.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
I really enjoyed watching C.E shoot his space gun , although I always thought they were way to much work compared to a break open gun...KS-OKIE

1 - 20 of 55 Posts