Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was shooting my k80 two days ago and when I shot at doubles, I found that the second shot (top barrel) trigger pull was noticeably heavier than the first shot bottom barrel trigger pull. Took the stock off las night and fluid and air cleaned the internals very thoroughly. Then I spray lubricated everything and put the stock back on. Tried the triggers again many times with the barrel on; still have the same heavier trigger for the top barrel. All springs and all internal parts appear to be perfect. Anybody know what now is causing the major difference in trigger pull before I have to send the gun out for repair?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I was told that Krieghoff sets the 2nd (top) trigger 1/2 lb heavier than the bottom.
There are several points in the K80 internals that should have grease on them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi Reid A call to the fine folks in Ottsville will get you steered in the proper direction. They are very helpful and have the most complete knowledge of you gun. Regards ES

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you use krieghoffs white grease on the sears that’s good....if you use the brown grease you’ll reduce the pull by 1/2 to 1 lb....try it, it works great for me...

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Yep that exactly what i shoot mine at but Kreigoff doesn't like to set triggers that low they like 3.5 to 3.35 for the first one and 4 or heaver for the second one .
My K80 trigger pull bottom 3 lb 10 oz. Tob 4 lb 10 oz. Agree it is set that way at factory. Makes sense so they don't double.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,763 Posts
I just had service done a couple months ago and both of my triggers are set at 4.5 lbs. Mine is a top single combo and the triggers feel perfect.

·
2,763 Posts
So if I shoot the barrel with the heavier trigger first, the gun will double?
No. In the K80, the sear timing is what prevents doubling, and is not related to trigger pull weight.
You can shoot whichever barrel you want for your first shot. I have a top combo, and I shoot the top barrel in my O/U for 16’s, and bottom first for Doubles. Top barrel is only used for handicap. No doubling issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
My K80 trigger pull bottom 3 lb 10 oz. Tob 4 lb 10 oz. Agree it is set that way at factory. Makes sense so they don't double.
No. In the K80, the sear timing is what prevents doubling, and is not related to trigger pull weight.
You can shoot whichever barrel you want for your first shot.
Then why are the triggers in daledb's K80 set at different pull weights?

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
On Monday call Ottsville, Dupont, or anyone that does K80 triggers, K80's don't double but depending on the shooter and their style of shooting could experience a fan fire situation that was the simple answer I got when mine were set at 3-1/2 & 4lbs.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
On Monday call Ottsville, Dupont, or anyone that does K80 triggers, K80's don't double but depending on the shooter and their style of shooting could experience a fan fire situation that was the simple answer I got when mine were set at 3-1/2 & 4lbs.
I currently have 3 K80's, and that seems to be the orthodox explanation for different trigger pull weights.
But wouldn't this increase the likelihood of a "fan fire" if you use the barrel selector to choose to fire the barrel with the heavier trigger pull first?
If you're going to use the barrel selector, shouldn't the trigger pull weights be the same?

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Very few shooters that I have shot with use the barrel selector. You are aware like the safety the barrel selector can be locked out?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Very few shooters that I have shot with use the barrel selector. You are aware like the safety the barrel selector can be locked out?
Yes, of course both the safety and barrel selector can be locked out on a K80.
Since the selector adds mechanical complication and cost, and If "very few shooters" use it, why is it included at all, and why do shooters seem to prefer guns that have it?
I agree few switch barrels any more shooting casual sporting clays, let alone change chokes between stations, yet most have two different chokes in their O/U. If so, wouldn't it be best to consider which barrel to fire first at each station?
For me, .018 choke in both barrels, and forget about it.

·
2,763 Posts
I use my barrel selector every time I shoot.... for Singles, the selector is set to shoot top barrel of the O/U. For Doubles, I set the selector to shoot the bottom barrel first. For handicap, I switch the selector to fire the top because I use my 34” top single. I’ve never had a fan fire even when each trigger pull had a different pull weight. During my recent service, Krieghoff set both triggers to 4.5 lbs each, as I said in post #11.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts