Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot find anything that says not to, but I was thinking of using some Carnauba wax on my Pro-Sporter stock. Reason being, there are a few minor handling marks I am hoping to cover up. Any negatives to using it? I used Carnauba wax on my old (early 80's) BT-99 and it looked like new money when I sold it after 15 years of ownership. Thanks ahead.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,124 Posts
$1.99 I am surprised it's not dried out and shrunk in the container. Seriously some good stuff in 1960's shop teacher made us use lacquer and hand rub everything we made. Side note use it on table saw wood slides way smoother.
Johnson’s paste wax. Yes very old wood wax. It’s a carnauba wax from the 60’s. It does a beautiful job, hand rubbed into the wood. I told Phatmann about it and he went out and bought a can of the new stuff. Followed my directions, and used it on his Perazzi’s stock and it came out beautiful. He said he couldn’t believe how it came out and the guys he shot with commented on it. It also protects the wood from rain if you get caught out on the line in a downpour.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,124 Posts
Info on wood wax. Like the Johnson’s.

Wood wax
is similar in ways to varnish and stain, but offers more protection that most other wood coatings. When given a light coating of wood wax, the entire surface of wooden objects is protected from moisture, and it holds the color of the wood for a long time. ... Wood wax can be used on painted or non-painted wood.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Yes, but I like the Renaissance wax or Flitz on the barrels.
Chief, I follow your protocol. Carnauba wax for wood and Renaissance for steel.

The carnauba can turn yellow with buildup and on the wood you never see it but you do on the steel. Microcrystaline (renaissance) remains clear. I will use Flits on the inside of the barrels to remove salt on my duck guns.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,124 Posts
Chief, I follow your protocol. Carnauba wax for wood and Renaissance for steel.

The carnauba can turn yellow with buildup and on the wood you never see it but you do on the steel. Microcrystaline (renaissance) remains clear. I will use Flits on the inside of the barrels to remove salt on my duck guns.
The Flitz does wonders on the outside of the barrels too. Brings out the deep bluing. Remember on the Flitz. A little goes a long way.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I told Phatmann about it and he went out and bought a can of the new stuff. Followed my directions, and used it on his Perazzi’s stock and it came out beautiful. He said he couldn’t believe how it came out and the guys he shot with commented on it. It also protects the wood from rain if you get caught out on the line in a downpour.
Chief: sorry if you’ve covered this anywhere else but could you point a fella towards your directions for using the Johnson product? I’ve ordered a can and look forward to using it.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,124 Posts
Chief: sorry if you’ve covered this anywhere else but could you point a fella towards your directions for using the Johnson product? I’ve ordered a can and look forward to using it.
Ok. Make sure stock is clean. Use dawn dishwashing liquid ( couple of drops) on a wet towel. Scrub the stock. Wipe off with a damp wet, clean water towel. Use hand soap on an old toothbrush, scrub the checkering. Rinse with a clean wet towel. Throughly dry with a clean dry cotton towel. Allow it to dry. Take a small piece of cotton towel. Circular motion apply wax onto the cloth. Then in circular motion rub the wax into the wood. Avoid the checkering as much as possible. Allow several minutes. Then buff off the wax with a clean dry cotton towel to a beautiful shine. Finish off by applying Formby’s lemon oil furniture treatment on the checkering with a cotton gun cleaning patch. Make sure the checkering is dry before applying the Formby’s.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
The Chiefs formula works great.

Johnson paste wax on stock
Flitz on metal, receiver and bbls

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have a newer Kolar and I’ve never tried any of this on a stock but always wanted to, it’s not an oil finish so I assume same goes for mine?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ok. Make sure stock is clean. Use dawn dishwashing liquid ( couple of drops) on a wet towel. Scrub the stock. Wipe off with a damp wet, clean water towel. Use hand soap on an old toothbrush, scrub the checkering. Rinse with a clean wet towel. Throughly dry with a clean dry cotton towel. Allow it to dry. Take a small piece of cotton towel. Circular motion apply wax onto the cloth. Then in circular motion rub the wax into the wood. Avoid the checkering as much as possible. Allow several minutes. Then buff off the wax with a clean dry cotton towel to a beautiful shine. Finish off by applying Formby’s lemon oil furniture treatment on the checkering with a cotton gun cleaning patch. Make sure the checkering is dry before applying the Formby’s.
Thank you very much, sir. I truly appreciate you going through this for me. The Paste should be here Friday and I’m looking forward to following your directions!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts