Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
13,512 Posts
We have a All American shooter in Miami who shoots nothing but Cheddite primers on his reloads. He had Tim Ward at Dupont shorten his firing pins. He no longer has any problems with his K-80. I'm sure Tim at Dupont can get your shotgun fixed the first time. I suggest you send your shotgun to him. Good Luck to Ya. break em all Jeff

· Vendor
265 Posts
K-80 firing pins consist of two pieces. There are three different lengths of the rear piece, which change how far the firing pin can protrude into the breach. Older K-80's all came with the long version, current production comes with the middle length. Rarely is the extra short version needed.

It's an easy fix, but does require some disassembly of the gun to change them. Also, if you need the shorter rear pieces, you may well need to replace the firing pins themselves as they pit rapidly when you start piercing primers.

· Registered
2,766 Posts
The problem is the Cheddite primers. Now when you change shells and come across any slightly deep primers you will have FTF’s. Any Federals come to mind.

I know, people will say they never had a problem with these primers, but hardly a fix to have to change pins to shoot different shells. Especially in a K-80.

· Vendor
265 Posts
The problem is the Cheddite primers. Now when you change shells and come across any slightly deep primers you will have FTF’s. Any Federals come to mind.

I know, people will say they never had a problem with these primers, but hardly a fix to have to change pins to shoot different shells. Especially in a K-80.
The difference in the rear firing pins is .005". I have yet to change these out and have a FTF complaint, except with reloads where the primer depth was off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.