Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting my Parcours barrels threaded for chokes and my options are the Briley thinwall or the Extreme thinwalls. Does anyone have experience with these?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I think either way your barrel will have to go to Briley to be threaded, Extreme web site says for barrels with Briley S2 choke threads, both great chokes tho

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have both - in Black Extended. I like the Extreme better, in that it doesn't collect nearly as much plastic. Billy P.S. I love my 12 Ga 30" Parcours Barrel - I added the Krieghoff barrel weights to cut recoil. I use it mostly for 5 Stand and it swings great.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I have both - in Black Extended. I like the Extreme better, in that it doesn't collect nearly as much plastic. Billy P.S. I love my 12 Ga 30" Parcours Barrel - I added the Krieghoff barrel weights to cut recoil. I use it mostly for 5 Stand and it swings great.
I still don't understand why anyone buys lightweight fixed-choke barrels, and then adds changeable chokes and barrel weights...

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
A lot of folks who bought the Parcours have found it light, whippy, and kicky. I test drove one a couple of years ago, and the 1200 foot 1 1/8 oz trap load was unpleasant to shoot.

I recently traded from a 30" Skeet gun with Heavy barrel to a 32" Sporter. The gun is 19 oz lighter than my old gun, and I consider the 32" K80 to be light and whippy. Am getting in the groove with it now, but it was a huge change.

The Parcours is 12 oz lighter than the K-80. The K20 weighs the same, for an example.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think either way your barrel will have to go to Briley to be threaded, Extreme web site says for barrels with Briley S2 choke threads, both great chokes tho
You are correct about having to send the barrels to Briley and I believe Extreme is the only other manufacturer making chokes for the s-2.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you compared the Briley vs Extreme at the patterning board?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still don't understand why anyone buys lightweight fixed-choke barrels, and then adds changeable chokes and barrel weights...
A lot of folks who bought the Parcours have found it light, whippy, and kicky. I test drove one a couple of years ago, and the 1200 foot 1 1/8 oz trap load was unpleasant to shoot.

I recently traded from a 30" Skeet gun with Heavy barrel to a 32" Sporter. The gun is 19 oz lighter than my old gun, and I consider the 32" K80 to be light and whippy. Am getting in the groove with it now, but it was a huge change.

The Parcours is 12 oz lighter than the K-80. The K20 weighs the same, for an example.
I bought the Parcours because it is the flattest shooting K80 barrel. I was having problems shooting over longer targets and these barrels help a lot. I still use a #6 stock and a standard fore arm so my gun is relatively heavy compared to the Parcours guns. With the 32" Parcours barrels, my gun weighs 8lb 8oz and swings great. It does have a little more recoil while using 1 1/8oz 1300 fps shells but it works for me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Standard 32" sporter K80 barrels weigh 3lb 12 oz with Krieghoff titanium chokes.
32" Parcours with fixed chokes weigh 3lb 0 oz.
Adding Briley extended thin wall chokes adds negligible weight to the barrels as some weight needs to be extracted from the barrels to fit the chokes.

Krieghoff barrel weights are 1.4 oz. Up to three may be added under the forearm to help control swing weight, recoil, barrel jump etc.
With all three added and the Briley thin wall chokes, the weight is about 3lb 5 oz and that 7 oz difference between a Parcours barrel set up that way and the standard Sporter barrel (3lb 12 oz) is noticeable for some shooters in Sporting Clays and FITASC shooting.

I am not sure if there is enough clearance space between the Parcours barrels to fit the extended titanium Extreme choke previously mentioned by the OP, but I certainly like the easy cleaning of the titanium vs steel. And titanium looks cool ;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have Wilkinson thin walls in my K80 parcours.

There is a hot rumor that K will have factory thin walls available in 12g later in 2020.
A friend who has the Parcours told me he sent it to Krieghoff in Germany to get this thin walls put in. So I'd check with Krieghoff and see it that could be done now.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
A friend who has the Parcours told me he sent it to Krieghoff in Germany to get this thin walls put in. So I'd check with Krieghoff and see it that could be done now.
Germany is where they make the barrels and install the chokes. I’m not sure there are any retrofits just yet but they should be selling new barrels with their new choke tubes at some point.

·
Registered
385 Posts
To answer MTA Tom: As previously stated the net weight is less. But the big difference is where the weight is. The coefficient of angular momentum is reduced, and this is what improves the swing. The weight under the fore end doesn't effect the swing very much, but it reduces recoil. Billy

·
Trump2020
799 Posts
I bought the Parcours because it is the flattest shooting K80 barrel. I was having problems shooting over longer targets and these barrels help a lot. I still use a #6 stock and a standard fore arm so my gun is relatively heavy compared to the Parcours guns. With the 32" Parcours barrels, my gun weighs 8lb 8oz and swings great. It does have a little more recoil while using 1 1/8oz 1300 fps shells but it works for me.
Where did you come up with the Parcours barrels shoot Flatter than any other K80 barrel. I'd like to see proof of that.
To answer the original question leave the barrel alone 20 and 25 thousands is a plenty good combo, unless you shoot skeet or fluffy targets you don't need to open it up.

·
Registered
14,809 Posts
The Parcours was originally designed for 10z and lesser loads in FITASC. Lighter, quicker moving gun for longer technical targets. I've shot one. It was 1.5 pounds lighter than my K-80 with custom wood and I could definitely feel the extra recoil, but it was real smooth.

Now, many sporters shoot 1 0z loads, so they are utilizing one gun for both events (FITASC and Sporting) which saves money and makes sense, but the weight and recoil is now an issue with 1 1/8oz loads if they desire to shoot them.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
I bought the Parcours because it is the flattest shooting K80 barrel.
This in not true. I just talked to Dupont Krieghoff. They actually said there were rumors going around that The newer Parcour barrels actually shot a higher POI than the the K-80 standard barrels. She also said that KI checked into this and found that the new Parcours barrels did not shoot at a higher POI than the standard barrel K-80. So they should be the same POI.

With the 32" Parcours barrels, my gun weighs 8lb 8oz and swings great.
Your Parcours shotgun should weigh in appox. 12 oz's lighter than a standard K-80 barrel. Standard or Pro-rib model. You must have added 6 to 8 oz's of weights to do this. Your current shotgun is only 4 oz's lighter than a standard K-80 barrel. I am very surprised you can even feel this slight difference between barrels IMO.

Where did you come up with the Parcours barrels shoot Flatter than any other K80 barrel. I'd like to see proof of that.
I have no idea how he came to this conclusion. The POI of the Parcours is not listed in KI website. So I called Dupont to ask them (it seems I have lots of spare time on my hands this month). The Parcours barrel should be the same POI as a standard ribbed K-80 barrel. If paulaner wants a lower POI, He would be much better off buying a pro-rib K-80 barrel. He then could adj. the rib down to 50/50 if he wants a flat shooter, or raise it back to 60/40 when shooting a different game if he wanted too. Of course his gun would be appox. 4 oz's heavier. Of course all of this is a moot point since Paulaner is happy with his current shotgun just the way it is. I just wanted to post this to keep keep the record strait in case someone else might want a lower POI K-gun down the road. Not that a 10% different POI shotgun is a huge difference in the first place. Enjoy your Journey into the Clay Target Sports. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All I was looking for was some input on Briley chokes vs Extreme chokes for Parcours barrels. A few facts to close with;
*Yes, Krieghoff will be offering German thinwalls for the Parcours this year. Confirmed by Ottsville
*My gun weighs 8lb 8oz with the Parcours barrels. It used to weigh 9lb 3 1/2oz with Prosport barrels. The Crown grade #6 stock adds the weight and no other weight has been added.
*If you measure to see if the top of the rib is parallel with the bore, it should shoot flat and about 50/50. I've owned two Prosports which would never measure parallel with the adjustment wheel all the way up and the flattest I could get them was about 70/30. Maybe it was operator error. I also had a sporter that also shot high about 60/40. I tested a Parcour at M&M and found the long targets I had been looking for and on a patterning board my Parcour is 50/50.
*My Parcour measures .021/.030 which is Mod/LtFull. Europeans consider .030 IM.

Has anyone compared Briley thinwalls with Extreme in the Parcours? Gross Man says he has both. I would like to hear from him if he has patterned them.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
The Crown grade #6 stock adds the weight and no other weight has been added.
That'll do it. Crown grade wood would add the 8 oz's of weight hands down. Your shotgun must be a beauty! congrat's on that first of all.

Pro-skeet and Pro-sporting barrels are all listed as being 50/50 and 60/40 POI to me by Dupont as well as KI website I believe. Of course how you hold your eye on the rib will really determine "YOUR" POI. As noted Parcours barrel come from the factory with modified under Improved Modified for the Sporting Clay shooters.

Trying to ask someone here, how Briley thinwall chokes compare to Extreme's thinwall chokes is going to be difficult to say the least. Since this is a Trap website and not a Sporting Clay website. You must also factor in what is needed to really compare tests between the two chokes. Tim on this website has carried on in Neil's absence. The test pattern must be done on a 4' X 4' white test paper made by a certain company. Then a computer is used to count each pellet (from a Known amount) and then the computer calculates to see if the shotgun is shooting a 75% pattern at a known distance. I believe he says you need 10 tests from each gun to compare to 10 tests from the other choke/gun to get a true comparison. So its a time consuming and expensive test to be done. Just looking at patterns from one chokes to the next choke really will not tell you a thing!!! To do a true test you must count all the pellets in the paper and cut open the test shell and count the pellets before the test and reassemble the test shell. So you see nobody is going to do that. So your just asking someone's else's opinion on what they think, if your lucky enough to find someone that has compared the two. You should know of course that two different chokes made from the same company could also have different results as well.

So my point is----just buy whatever choke floats your boat (makes you Happy)!!! Which choke In Your Opinion will bring out some bling in your already purdy shotgun? This is what I would do, if I were in your shoes.

PS, Tims and Neil's pattern testing on shotguns prove that most every barrel will give the shooter a 75% pattern if the quality of the shot is of the same quality. No matter the quality of the barrel. So a 870 barrel will give a 75% pattern just like a Krieghoff shotgun with the same shot. Barrel length does not make any difference at all & not a factor. You just need a good tight full choke in the barrel. Economy brand shot will fail to perform as well as premium shot. Especially at distance. So IMO it really does not matter which choke you buy!!! As long as you use premium shot in your shells? You'll be just fine, as both Briley and Extreme make excellent chokes. You do know that Extreme made all the chokes for Krieghoff, before KI tooled up to make there own chokes. So you can't go wrong either way. Best of Luck on your Journey into the Clay target sports. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Pro-skeet and Pro-sporting barrels are all listed as being 50/50 and 60/40 POI to me by Dupont as well as KI website I believe. Of course how you hold your eye on the rib will really determine "YOUR" POI. As noted Parcours barrel come from the factory with modified under Improved Modified for the Sporting Clay shooters.
I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Adjustable rib guns like the Pro-Skeet, Pro-Sporter, ACS, Trap Special, etc can and do come delivered to customers with different POIs. There is no 'standard'. Throw in variables like different stock options (parallel vs. non parallel combs), different hangers, the standard adjustable combs, and different generations of ribs and you'll have no clue with the POI is until you shoot it. I've even seen dealers deliver a gun with the 'wrong' stock for the rib height...there is one that is famous for that and I'll really wish they'd stop as the customers are usually clueless.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts