Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Talking with dealers about a Krieghoff K-80 combo gun.

Comparing the price of the Trap Special with the O/U barrels only...

For the cost to make it a combo gun by adding the Unsingle barrel, one could buy a whole KX-5.

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is there something wrong with the KX-5? I was going to consider this gun...I don't have $15K for the K-80 :-(

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I already have a KX-5 myself and like it.

But a lot of folks I see at the trap range have gone the K-80 combo route.

I am interested to know why.

It might justify trading in my KX-5 in order to get the K-80 combo.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I prefer to shoot one gun. So with a combo you're just changing barrels and everything else stays the same. 16, HC or doubles gun feels the same. I shoot trap, sporting, and skeet with one gun and a few barrels. My wife also shoots a Krieghoff, and I have our guns set where all of our barrels interchange with the three K80 receiver we have. Larry

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
I have tried the combo thing and have gone back to the two gun approch. I have never been able to shoot a combo gun for both as good as the single gun for the two different events. I shoot a KS-5 Special for singles, and a Browning Citori Trap for doubles, or muti-shot events. I could however shoot the Citori trap for singles just about as well, but prefer the KS-5. If you shoot alot of doubles and singles events the combo may be the best choice. I found it very tiring to carry that combo case and extra set of O/U barrels to the singles only events though. Jon

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

"I shoot trap, sporting, and skeet with one gun and a few barrels."

Are the barrels the only thing you change going from trap to skeet to sporting clays ?

Or do you have to change stocks too ?

If you do not change the actual stock wood, do you change the adjustable-comb position between the various sports ?

And do you change the barrels mainly in order to have a different rib ?

Or are there other reasons to change the barrels between the three sports mentioned ?

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
If you shoot all of those events you are better off buying a low rib O/U that shoots as flat as possible and shoot the same gun for everything. That way you get used to the same sight plane. Or, you could just shoot a field gun or something that shoots the same for all of those events. Just remember to cover the bird in trap, or any rising bird and follow through. Jon

·
Registered
801 Posts
First, I believe you can buy a good used unsingle barrel for 1/2 the price of a KX-5. I shoot a KS-5 Special for singles, and a 30" K-80 for doubles. I was going to add a unsingle to the K-80, but a good one was around 2100 to 2200 bucks. I decided for 600 bucks more I could get the whole KS-5 so thats the route I went. I didn't think a 30"/34" combo would be that easy to sell if I wanted to sell it. GaryL.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I like to shoot the same POI for skeet and sporting. My unsingle has an adj rib so I can set it to shoot higher than my O/U with the exact same sight picture. For Doubles trap I shoot a standard 30" skeet barrel. I trap the first target and the second target is about flat when I shoot it. No need to change anything. Larry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.