Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a k80 sporting that i have owned since 1995. I have had a lot of sucess with this gun with no recoil issues until 2 years. I then added weight to the stock and that solved my problem.In the last 6 months i have lost 35 lbs. and the gun now hurts my jaw when i shoot around of sporting clays.The gun still seems to fit good. What can i do to correct the probem? i have tried shooting light 1oz loads and that did not help. Should i get a adjustable comb or do something else. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Bob Bush

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried working with washers. Havo ordered stock spacers to get pitch to neutral. Thanks to everybody for their help.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Bob,

As others have written, pitch can cause "cheek slap," which is what you are experiencing. The pitch is correct FOR YOU when, using the shooting posture used when you shoot and the gun is brought back to your shoulder with the muzzle raised to a normal shooting height, the whole recoil pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder.

If it is the wrong pitch that is causing your cheek slap, chances are that the pointed "toe" of the recoil pad will make contact with your shoulder well before the top "heel" of the pad when you shoot.

There are causes of cheek slap other than pitch, however. Raising the cheek off the comb is one and a low gun mount, which requires you to lean your neck forward and lower your cheek to the comb, is another. And, needing to turn your head excessively toward the stock to put your cheek on the comb and/or needing to tilt your head toward the stock (actually, lay your cheek on the comb) to vertically align your eye with the rib, are others.

If the pitch on the stock is such that the top of the recoil pad makes contact with the shoulder very much before the bottom of the pad, it is possible that when wearing certain types of clothing, the whole recoil pad can slide up during recoil, which can cause the comb to mash your cheekbone. Some types of layered clothing are prone to sliding more than others.

Rollin (author of "Stock Fitter's Bible")

1 - 9 of 9 Posts