Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 479 Posts

·
Banned
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend sent this photo to me and did not have a lot of details. I am not on here often and this may be old news but I would like to know more about what happened.

Ernie

Attachments

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I don`t remember that one but there are a number of reasons for that to happen. Looks to me like a detonation issue and not a barrel obstruction.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Holy $/)-& ! I hope everyone is ok, looks like a bad deal. No matter what the brand. Any idea on what happened to cause this?

D

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Sometimes the power in the shell, instead of burning like smokeless powder should, detonates.
This releases an enormous amount of energy like an explosive device would do. HMB

·
Banned
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand that the shooter had lacerations on his arms but noting life threatening which makes him a very lucky guy. I agree with the detonation theory, whatever went wrong appears to have taken place in the lower barrel chamber. Of course I am not an engineer just stating from what I see.

Ernie

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
what? k guns dont do that? they are immortal!

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Sauerkraut engineering, at it's finest, in all it's glory! This is far from the first K80 we have seen do this. I'm sure there are people buying these for obscene amounts of money just to blow them up and give Krieghoff a bad rap.

·
Supporting Vendor
10,444 Posts
If you shoot factory ammo, you will never have a problem. This type of thing happens when Trap shooters try and get a bit more oomph out of their reloads by using powders designed for .410's. Metal fatigue is irreversible and, eventually, BOOOOM!!!

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
If you shoot factory ammo, you will never have a problem. This type of thing happens when Trap shooters try and get a bit more oomph out of their reloads by using powders designed for .410's. Metal fatigue is irreversible and, eventually, BOOOOM!!!
Not necessarily . I have see at least two guns blow with factory shells in them. One was a BT-99 in Ok. years ago. The other was a 20 ga. 1100 Skeet gun with factory skeet loads( I knew the guy personally). I never did know what happened with the BT but the guy with the blown up Remington settled quick, when he sent the gun ,shell, and witness statements to Remington and gave him a brand new 3200 4 barrel set. He signed a settlement statement and that was that. You are correct that metal fatigue is irreversible and the fact is there is always a possibility for flaw in the metal at casting. There is also the possibility of flawed factory produced ammo. Nothing is perfect or fool proof.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
When was this supposed to have happened?

Did he send it in to be analyzed?

I personally saw a k-80 un-single a couple of years ago blow up like that and not long after that a Blazer O/U bottom barrel did the same thing. two different shooters. One guy got a new K-80 and the guy with the Blazer got nothing and the factory was going to keep the gun until they were threatened with legal action unless they returned the gun and all the parts.

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
I'm assuming the gun was set for bottom barrel first, and shooter was shooting doubles? Only reason I can see to be shooting a Nitro on the top barrel. Not sure how the gun could have let go on the bottom barrel (first shot, reload), and still fired the top barrel???

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
skeet_man,
It could be the gun doubled. The shooter may have had a fired hull in the top because he wasn't shooting it. I doubt that the empty hull on top was a result of spontaneous combustion. People have been known to shoot the top barrel first especially with choke tubes in both barrels.

Why assume, when you can just blame Bush, like the rag-headed retard in the White House does? It could of been "Global Warming" caused from Hilliary's thighs rubbing together!

1 - 20 of 479 Posts