Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the sad results of the petition asking college students to support rounding up and even executing gun owners, this, too, should make gun owners feel confident about the future.

-------------

Justice Antonin Scalia says World War II-style internment camps could happen again

By Joel Gehrke | FEBRUARY 4, 2014 AT 1:57 PM

Justice Antonin Scalia predicts that the Supreme Court will eventually authorize another a wartime abuse of civil rights such as the internment camps for Japanese-Americans during World War II.

"You are kidding yourself if you think the same thing will not happen again," Scalia told the University of Hawaii law school while discussing Korematsu v. United States, the ruling in which the court gave its imprimatur to the internment camps.

The local Associated Press report quotes Scalia as using a Latin phrase that means "in times of war, the laws fall silent," to explain why the court erred in that decision and will do so again.

"That's what was going on — the panic about the war and the invasion of the Pacific and whatnot," Scalia said. "That's what happens. It was wrong, but I would not be surprised to see it happen again, in time of war. It's no justification but it is the reality."

The late U.S. Sen. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii, who was Japanese-American, was not among those sent to the camps but was declared an "enemy alien." When he got the chance to fight for his country in World War II, he jumped at it, eventually earning a Medal of Honor for "conspicuous gallantry" near San Terenzo, Italy, in 1945. "I was angered to realize that my government thought that I was disloyal and part of the enemy, and I wanted to be able to demonstrate not only to my government but to my neighbors that I was a good American," Inouye told Ken Burns in "The War," as quoted by Reuters.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Maybe we need to sign a petition that all those little liberal college punks pay their own tuition!

No more grants, no more low interest loans, no more freebies for American hating foreign students, no more taxpayer subsidies for State Universities, no more taxpayer funded programs to pay foreign professors to brainwash our kids.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd support that. I'm tired of universities turning out spoiled commie brats with entitlement, America hating and self-loathing and guilt complex issues.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
Not only that it would bring down the price of a college education, the universities are just like the food stamp queens, but they are able to raise the price because they know the giverment will just make more student loan money available

I remember when I was going to college the max you could borrow I think was $2500 per year, our family banker would only loan me $1500, and told me to make do, he said 1500 is bad enough, but if you borrowed 2500 for 4 years you are essentially bankrupt when you graduate

I didn't like it at the time but I did get by and now I see his wisdom

·
Registered
237 Posts
No more education for foreign nationals in the USA. And while I am venting, nationalize all property owned by foreigners in the US. That included Toyota, VW, Oil refineries, you get the idea. Herb

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If you have read Justice Scalia or know how he speaks, you will realize that the other things he said surrounding these comments substantially modified the "in times of war" statement. He was warning that this could and perhaps would happen once a majority decided that it can no longer live in peace with the minority. The 20th century saw "re-education camps", "concentration camps" and "death camps". It would be truly foolish to think that it could not or would not happen again.

·
Premium Member
18,830 Posts
I won't try to argue the validity of those internment camps during WWII, but if you go back and look at what was going on then, this country of ours was willing to do anything to win that war, and win we did. Unfortunately, those people had to be put in those camps. They had a hell of alot better conditions than our boys who survived the Bataan Death March.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
CharlieAMA

I think it was the lowest point in the United States history to put American citizens in those camps.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
RWT, it wasn't the lowest point that happened much earlier when the giverment took the Indian's land, and traded them some much better land that nobody wanted, then screwed them out of that

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I firmly believe we will see "camps" in this country in the next 20 years. Show me where leftist haven't rounded up people. The left has won, they control academy, media, popular culture, government. They succeeded in convincing everybody that Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc, were right wing when they were really leftist.

The left is in the process of making a bogey man, and that is a white Christian gun owner, preferably an anti abortion Catholic. Then they got their whipping boy, bogey man.

It won't start with concentration camps, it never does, logistics does that. It will start at the local level where you can choose between paying a fine or attending "sensitivity" classes taught by the local professor. Then when repeat offenders don't get the message, there will have to be a place they can be sentenced to adjust their behavior. Then when the numbers become too overwhelming someone in power will suggest a "Final Solution".

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FEMA camps and executing gun owners - The liberals "Final Solution" for Second Amendment supporters.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I agree that these projected scenarios seem absurdly extreme but so did Auschwitz, Bergen-Belsen et al. If a person could conceive of it, it CAN happen. Personally, I always look at the most extreme possibility and then try to imagine what could change or prevent that from happening. I know it is a pessimistic way of looking at things BUT it has proven to be accurate too often to ignore.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Charlie AMA,

"They had a hell of alot better conditions than our boys who survived the Bataan Death March."

You're comparing apples and oranges. In the first instance, it was the American government doing the unthinkable to American citizens. In the second instance, it was the agent of a foreign government (Japanese army) doing the unthinkable to Americans.

For what it's worth, my father was a survivor of the Bataan Death March.

Chichay

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why weren't first generation Italian-Americans and German-Americans interred in camps?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts