Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would pass this along for the ones that reload. No use spending a lot of money on a shot shell dismantler for your bad reloads. Just use a pipe cutter that you can buy at Home Depot, Lowes, or on Ebay for about $5.00. Been using the same one for approx. 8-9 years with same blade. Just hold shell in one hand, place cutter on shell approx. 3/8 -1/2" above brass and turn very easy just cutting the hull itself as you turn the shell. You can save shot, wad, powder. Very simple and cheap. Don't buy the expensive metal ones as the plastic one work perfect. I once found about 25 of these at Home Depot on close out for .99 cents. Try it and with a little practice it works perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
I thought I would pass this along for the ones that reload. No use spending a lot of money on a shot shell dismantler for your bad reloads. Just use a pipe cutter that you can buy at Home Depot, Lowes, or on Ebay for about $5.00.
Your pic shows what it is, but for those not completely knowledgeable, it is a PVC pipe cutter, not steel or brass. Just thought I would make that clear. I have several and never thought about using it for shells. Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry! It is for PVC and/or poly tubing most of the time you will find them in the yard sprinkler section Home Depot or Lowes. They are on ebay for bout $5.00+ shipping. Works wonderful!

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
I will just say this. All of us out there that bought the Unloader from Gary used to use a pvc cutter and would not go back to the mess. You don't know what you are missing fellas. If saving $30 is that important that you have to accept a sub standard way of dismantling shells, you probably cannot afford to shoot anyway.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts

Thanks for the tip slickhead! I thought it worked great.

Today I cut open 10 boxes of old Chukar and Coyote loads I reloaded back in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I just made the cuts over a plastic bucket. It is pretty easy to clean the small mess out of the bottom of a bucket.

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad you liked it! Just cut about 3/8" above the brass and pull shell apart, you save the wad, powder, and the shot. NOT a bit of mess. It is real quick and easy to get the hang of it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just found one in a crate of odd tools I've had for years and it works well cutting shells apart. Actually it's almost too easy. Guess I'll retire the hacksaw from this task. Great tip slickhead!

2015-06-04_073643.jpg

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Today I took some pictures of cutting some old Federal Gold Medal 1-1/2 oz #6 shot loads with the pipe cutter.

I made the cuts right next to the brass on these FGM hulls.

The hulls after the cuts.

Then 3 or 4 quick squeezes up by the crimp to soften up the hull and break the wad free of the hull so that the wad and shot come out easier.

In this picture you can see that the wad is starting to come out of the hull from squeezing it up by the crimp.

Then I use this awl to push the shot and wad out of the hull.

I do all of these steps over a bucket so any mess that is made is in the bucket.

For no more than I need to use a shell cutter I am going stick with the cheap PVC pipe cutter.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I love my unloader, and Gary is great to buy from!! Lorrie

·
Registered
16,756 Posts
I went and bought one of those tubing cutters. Brought it back the next day, blade too dull.

Back to the bloody thumb. someone makes a very slick anodized billet aluminum cutter, wish I could afford it.

HM

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I already had a similar PVC cutter. It works great for PVC and not bad for cutting shells, I just tried it. I still like my UNLOADER from Gary Bulley. Yeah, it was a sort of pricey tool to lay on my loading bench, but what in this sport isn't. Sometimes you just have to treat yourself to an otherwise unjustifed purchase. I've pissed away far more money in taverns in the past and I have nothing at all but bad health to show for that. At least this thing will be passed on to my boys. As always though, to each his own.

unloader 1.jpg unloader 2.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts