Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been following RANDY WAKEMAN OUTDOORS recipe using steel shot trying to figure out why my lee load all 2 is only dispensing .580 Oz and not ⅞ oz of number 4 shot. Before realizing that the recipe calls for "Nice shot".

I currently have Fiocchi 2 3/4 hulls with Fio. 616 primer, WNAA20 wads and Hodgon Univeral clays powder and #4 steel shot. I can't seem to find any recipe that uses these products. I bought some #7 shot by the way. If you have any info it would greatly appreciated. Just started reloading yesterday.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Look at published data and cater your loads to that data. Dont expect random components to fit your needs. If you cant find published data, its probably not good. By published I mean : manufacturers website data, or a shotshell reloading book with a current date.
Load data found on forums is not good data and may be extremely unsafe. Start over.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Been following RANDY WAKEMAN OUTDOORS recipe using steel shot trying to figure out why my lee load all 2 is only dispensing .580 Oz and not ⅞ oz of number 4 shot. Before realizing that the recipe calls for "Nice shot".

I currently have Fiocchi 2 3/4 hulls with Fio. 616 primer, WNAA20 wads and Hodgon Univeral clays powder and #4 steel shot. I can't seem to find any recipe that uses these products. I bought some #7 shot by the way. If you have any info it would greatly appreciated. Just started reloading yesterday.
Welcome to Reloading, it really is an enjoyable and rewarding hobby.
I will give you one bit of advise.
Whatever it is that you have read from Randy Wakeman, FORGET IT!
There is really great information on the subject available from Ballistic producks and Precision Reloading.
Anything that bag of useless wind that Wakeman babbles, is for entertainment purposes only. He's truly a legend in his own mind.
Try this load, you'll need a different wad than you have.
Screenshot_20200805-175001_Chrome.jpg

MG

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Your Lee Loader is suppose to be for lead shot. The bushing(s) also may be sized for lead with little antimony.
Steel shot normally needs to be loaded with wads that are designed for steel shot.
You should get some Nice shot to use with the components you have. Also if MG is right pick up the manual for steel shot.
Do you hunt/shoot in an area that requires non-lead shot. If so then you should pick up a MEC loader designed to load steel. If you can use lead you should start with that.

Jason

·
Premium Member
5,918 Posts
Augie, It's a good thing you came here because we will steer you in the right direction. Previously, in my opinion, you had an impaired driver at the wheel.

Most shot bushings are made for lead shot, which is much denser than steel. You will either need to weigh your shot drops and put them in manually, or find a steel shot bushing for your loader.

And the AA wad is inappropriate for use with steel shot, it's made for lead shot. I don't know what Randy was thinking with that load, but it's AFU.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts

Third, be careful running steel shot through that Lee. Excellent potential for bridging even with 4's. I'd hand weigh them.

Finally, under NO and I mean NO situation should you listen to him.

STOP! Your about to have a disaster.

First, I presume you mean WAA20 wad. That does not work for either steel or Nice shot.

Second, Universal Clay's will not work pushing either steel or Nice in a 7/8oz 20ga load.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
The OP has taken Nice shot data and tried to load steel shot.
Randy Wakeman's table of Nice shot data is from Precision Reloading, a reputable source.
THE OP needs to get appropriate data initially, and buy suitable components before starting.
There seems to be a huge knowledge gap for this beginning loader.
He should probably stick to factory steel shot loads.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Augie,
I have taken the liberty of finding you a,
2 3/4" - 20 gauge - 7/8 oz - Steel Shot Load,
That utilizes as many of the components that you have on hand.
See the bellow data.
Good Luck and PLEASE, only use published data when reloading.
MG
View attachment 1705385
You guys are so helpful
called Ballistic Products and the recipe he gave me was
20 Ga 2 3/4 Hull with Fiocchi primer 616
Alliant steel powder 22 grain
and 2 3/4 TPS wad.
for 7/8 steel shot
With my 1 1/4 bushing i get .860 average
Will this work?
should i get these items

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
You guys are so helpful
called Ballistic Products and the recipe he gave me was
20 Ga 2 3/4 Hull with Fiocchi primer 616
Alliant steel powder 22 grain
and 2 3/4 TPS wad.
for 7/8 steel shot
With my 1 1/4 bushing i get .860 average
Will this work?
should i get these items
Augie,
.860 is just a smidgen shy of .875/7/8.
Not sure how steel shot is going to work in you Lee Load All?
I think your going have to experiment in order to find out for sure.
Best of Luck,
MG

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Augie,
.860 is just a smidgen shy of .875/7/8.
Not sure how steel shot is going to work in you Lee Load All?
I think your going have to experiment in order to find out for sure.
Best of Luck,
MG
That is with steel
Should i get the reloading stuff from the Ballistic Product Recipe?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have been reloading for 45 years with very few bloopers. With that said I am still learning new things and have found Mg1polo's advice to be some of the best. Listen and learn from the master.

·
Registered
16,757 Posts
Never use wads designed for lead shot with steel. The steel pellets can push through the thin plastic and score your barrel. Just pick up a wad from a factory steel shell and examine it and you will get the picture.
I like my guns too much for that kind of tomfoolery.

HM

1 - 20 of 20 Posts