Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally shoot 1 oz shells of 81/2 @ 1185--they are getting kind of scarce, and @ 72 trying to keep the wear & tear on my body down to a minimum. Went to the local Wally World & bought 3 boxes of Winchester AA 26gm @970 FPS

Two ?'s
1) has anyone shot these loads
2) At this slow of a speed did you tighten your choke?

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
They might be OK for shooting pasture clays, but you're not going to like the results on regular trap targets. I knew a guy who got a couple boxes by mistake, every shell sounded like a blooper.

BTW, you don't need to tighten your choke with slower shells. In fact, the exact opposite is true, the lower the velocity the less the shot pattern opens.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
I bought these years ago when we first started to teach boy scout shooting program, I tried it for myself and really liked it, beats any kind of recoil devices.

It's not easy to find on the shelfs, so we reload for them now, 7/8 oz with 17 gr of Red Dot or Clays when we can get them. It's a little faster than the featherlite, but recoil is mild too.

We never experience any choke changes, all the guns we donated to the trap program were fixed "M", the one we use in skeet is fixed C/IC these loads have no problem breaking targets.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
My daughter did 15 years ago and they broke targets just fine and with an 1187 virtually no recoil. Try them u will like them. If you reload, you can load your own, (try 7/8 ounces of 9's for 16 yards) and some red dot. Don't remember how much right now.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys-when I moved to Fl-sold all my presses & reloading gear & supply--the cost of reloading inFl is not worth it & if I had to start over I would have to live to 95 to break even-will have to shoot crap factory ammo - as long as it goes bank & works--that what I care about

Getting a new set of eyes (cataract) surgery in 2 weeks---then I'm out of excuses.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
They are one of my favorite singles shells. They are also nothing new as can be seen in these few examples in my AA collection.
Ammunition Gun accessory Cylinder Shotgun Bullet

·
Premium Member
12,482 Posts
970 fps converts to 661 mph. Your bird is only going approx. 62 mph. You shouldn't have a problem 'gettin dem birds'.

970x60seconds=58,200feet per minute x 60minutes= 3,492,000 feet per hour divided by 5280 feet in a mile=661mph.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Phil,
They will work well as long as you don't try to compensate by changing your shooting style. They will smoke targets from the 16. The biggest problem you will have is believing in them.
Marc

·
Registered
647 Posts
It could have been just a bad lot but I shot skeet with a fellow shooting those shells a couple of years ago. Every other shot sounded like a blooper. If every shot had sounded like that I would have thought they were just quiet--but it was about 50% of them. I bought a flat of 7/8 oz#8 Federal Top Gun at Gander Mountain a while back. They shot really well with very little recoil.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
They work when the hit is solid and multi-pellet, but just a pellet of two won't do it, though it usually does for 1150 fps shells.

http://www.mn-trap.org/tech_corner/n_winston/no_dome_breaks.html

Note too that all these shots show the core of the pattern way over the bird. So where is the evidence from the beaks? Where are those pieces "driven down" that target break readers see as proof that the shot went over the target?

Neil

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Good alternative for a light recoiling load if you don't reload. They sound funny because they are subsonic, not a blooper per se. We are shooting a lot of Noblesport 7/8 oz and that recoil level is pretty nice. They hit plenty hard as well. Maybe Tom can get some for you as I don't see them in local stores ever.

K

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Yes
No
They do have a off sound that is hard to get used to, but they work just fine on 16 yard targets and skeet as well!!! Now I know you shoot a Infinity and that theses guns really do not like steel based shells, but both Rio's and Nobel Sport make a 2 1/2 dram powder-- 7/8 oz load of shot fired at 1200 fps. Its a standard 20 gauge load in a 12 gauge case. Should be great for all target shooting. Remember that Euro shells have slightly smaller shot sizes when you order. break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
202 Posts
They are excellent for new shooters because believe or not, the shot string is easily seen against a blue sky. It helps to tell where the new shooter is missing.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thanks guys-when I moved to Fl-sold all my presses & reloading gear & supply--the cost of reloading inFl is not worth it & if I had to start over I would have to live to 95 to break even-will have to shoot crap factory ammo - as long as it goes bank & works--that what I care about

Getting a new set of eyes (cataract) surgery in 2 weeks---then I'm out of excuses.

Phil Berkowitz
Had eyes done a couple years ago. Now can see what I miss. Be prepared to go through some adjustments. made a shambles of my timing for a while since could see targets earlier. Will probably need to adjust gun points etc. as will see sooner and clearer. enjoy. Is a new world!

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had eyes done a couple years ago. Now can see what I miss. Be prepared to go through some adjustments. made a shambles of my timing for a while since could see targets earlier. Will probably need to adjust gun points etc. as will see sooner and clearer. enjoy. Is a new world!
Thanx- shoot some of those Featherlites, they can smoke a 16 yd target, no choke change, must be on the nose of the target or you'll be behind it.

Phil Berkowitz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts