Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the price was right, it was not a mistake. Most of the threads are saying it is a waste of money to have a barrel ported and many also say it hurts the value. While it may not reduce muzzle jump or reduce recoil, I don't think it has an adverse affect on the gun other than the possible devaluation.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Do not listen to the bunk about porting some like it others do not but it does help keep the barrel down for the second shot so it does not bother me either way as long as it is a good job by a good company. Not some wood pecker holes that are not straight or clog up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not to worry....Porting is fine...not a problem.

The gun is fine, the purchase is fine.

Previous posters are just saying that not worth going out of your way (time and expense) to have gun ported. But if you find a gun you like that has been ported no problem... is in no way a deal breaker.

WRT porting ..... if you are really looking to reduce recoil then you need to go with a lighter load, add weight to the gun or install a RAD system...i'm just sayin'

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Like the others said, buying a gun with porting is not a tragedy.

It just makes it a little more rigorous to clean.

If you like it, shoot it.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
I'm not a big fan of porting, but I noticed most shotguns in the Olympics are ported.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went to the shootoffs once at the Grand in Vandalia, on a cold summer night. Coats and hats. From the wierd weather I could see the amount of propellant gas forced upward through the ports with each shot, I never would have expected so much. Never doubted after there is some benefit to the force pushing the barrel down.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Being a porting skeptic, I've asked some of the sport's large canines why their guns are ported. The universal reply was that while they doubted porting's ability to yield anything positive, they didn't want to take a chance on not having every small advantage their competitors might have. One told me the same thing about barrel work. For the average shooter, none of those things really matter much as we do not place our shot with the same precision as those guys.

Most porting haters got that way from shooting beside ported guns that spewed combustion ash on them and/or forced them to push their ear protection in extra-tight. It does increase the amount of combustion dirt in the air as well as the report of the gun while delivering little in the way of benefits. Shoot a ported shotgun with a breeze blowing in your face and you'll feel the fallout.

The more smoke a powder produces while burning, the more porting looks like it is really doing something and cold weather will exaggerate that appearance. Truth be told, ballistic experts will tell you that shotgun target loads do not generate enough combustion pressure for porting to be effective. I once owned two Krieghoff KS-5s that were identical except one was ported. No one who shot both guns back to back could tell any difference.

Does it reduce a gun's value? Yes for some people; no for others. Either way, if you bought the gun for a fair price, it's a no harm, no foul deal.

Ed

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
You bought the gun, now go shoot the gun, enjoy the gun. Don't look back and don't put much credence in what advice you get on here plus or minus.

Don

·
Registered
494 Posts
I agree with what the majority has said so far. I own some guns that are ported and others that are not. Porting would not be a deal breaker for me if I liked the gun.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
If the porting is factory done, you did great. The only time porting could devalue a gun (if that), is if it is aftermarket or (really scary) home done. If you were to believe the 10 or 12 people who would say otherwise you're making a mistake. At worst, I'd bet the current "disfavor" with porting is a cyclical thing like a lot of popular features. It always seemed like the 30" vs 32" O/Us discussion. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Forget about it and shoot the gun. I bought a KS-5 Special from a poster on this forum. He sent several pictures of the gun; but I couldn't tell if it was ported. I asked him and he said it was not. Upon receiving the gun it had been ported. (Angleport). I was upset but as the price was reasonable and the gun was in very nice shape, I decided to keep it. I'm glad I did. Does the porting help? Your guess is as good as mine. Would I go through the expense to have it ported? No. Anyway, enjoy the gun. Ed

·
Registered
421 Posts
Having porting wouldn't stop me from buying a gun (my XT for instance) but I wouldn't pay extra to have it done. If you don't like it, you can be like me and never clean the ports; after a while the problem goes away!
John

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
One day I came up with the idea of testing the porting on my gun to see if it really did anything. I made an aluminum sleeve that covered the porting by sliding on the barrel with a slot to allow the sleeve to by pass the rib.

I fired a few shots with no sleeve to get the feel of the recoil and barrel jump. Then I put the sleeve on the barrel and covered up the ports. It was a tight fit so the porting would be sealed.

After firing the first shot with the sleeve on the barrel, it was no longer on the barrel. It was on the ground under the barrel. It was no longer tube shaped with a slot running the length of the sleeve. It was now a flat piece of 1/4 thick aluminum. The gas from the ports blew it right off the barrel. End of test. HMB

1 - 20 of 35 Posts