Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made my yearly, routine visit to the eye doctor today. He did a test on me today that I was totally unfamiliar with. A single character was displayed. Lenses were used to make the character appear double, side by side. I was advised to let him know when the character appeared single again.

Apparently the length of time to go back to normal vision in my case is extremely long. Than he asks the million dollar question... “how’s your shooting scores?” Caught well off guard, I replied, “they suck.” He came up with a diagnosis of:
  • Accommodative Infacility- difficulty efficiently switching focus between near and far and back
So, here I am... awaiting a follow up exam and a course of corrective action. It won’t be until February that I learn more. I advised him I have tried @Phil Kiner eye training series. He is not familiar with that, but by the time it’s all said and done, he will be.

Anybody else here been down this road? What kind of therapy was recommended?

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Sounds to me like your eye doctor may have helped you in the long run. Sorry, but I have not been down this path. So I can't tell you what to expect. Except that this should help you in the long run. Even if surgery is needed down the road? They can do wonderful things with eye surgery today. Of course, if they can fix your issues with lenses? All the better. Good Luck to Ya!!! break em all Jeff

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi, Ken,

I'm no expert, so take this with a grain of salt. I have been told that one's eyes focus faster when changing from far to near, hence the common advice to use "soft" focus on something in the distance and then change focus to the bird as it leaves the trap. I don't know what your routine is, but the test sounds like the doc is measuring the time to from near to far and back to near which is something that I believe most trap shooters don't do.

I look forward to hearing from you as you make your way through this process. Please keep us posted on what you learn.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@entropy would love to hear from you about this! Is it muscular fatigue or lens compliance change or both?
During todays exam, we didn’t dig into it at all. The next appointment is a comprehensive exam... expected to last “at least two hours”. I hope to have a lot better understanding of the depth of the issue then. As I’m approaching 60 y/o, age is probably going to be a factor.

This whole getting older thing is BS, but they say the alternative to getting older is worse.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,515 Posts
During todays exam, we didn’t dig into it at all. The next appointment is a comprehensive exam... expected to last “at least two hours”. I hope to have a lot better understanding of the depth of the issue then. As I’m approaching 60 y/o, age is probably going to be a factor.

This whole getting older thing is BS, but they say the alternative to getting older is worse.
I got ya! I just meant I would like to hear from our resident eye expert. I do believe Entropy more than dabbles. He may be able to shed light on this phenomenon.

·
Registered
319 Posts
accommodative infacility
A condition in which there is a slowness in changing from one level of accommodation toanother. Patients may complain of transitory blur. It may be due to diabetes, Graves' disease,measles or the side effects of some drugs. It is commonly associated with “asthenopia”.Treatment is aimed at the primary cause, but plus lenses and, especially, accommodative facility exercises are usually prescribed. Syn. inert accommodation.
Millodot: Dictionary of Optometry and Visual Science, 7th edition. © 2009 Butterworth-Heinemann

asthenopia
Term used to describe any symptoms associated with the use of the eyes. The causes ofasthenopia are numerous: sustained near vision, either when the accommodation amplitude islow or hypermetropia is uncorrected (accommodative asthenopia), aniseikonia (aniseikonica.), astigmatism (astigmatic a.), pain in the eye (asthenopia dolens), heterophoria(heterophoric a.), ocular inflammation (asthenopia irritans), hysteria (nervous a.),uncorrected presbyopia (presbyopic a.), improper illumination (photogenous a.) or retinaldisease (retinal a.). Syn. eyestrain; near point stress (NPS) (although this term is restricted to any symptoms arising from near vision). See convergence excess; convergence insufficiency; divergence insufficiency; visual fatigue; ocular headache.
Millodot: Dictionary of Optometry and Visual Science, 7th edition. © 2009 Butterworth-Heinemann

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
If it was level, (not looking down) it was a stereopsis test. Was it a picture of a fly? This is the usual image, and the test is often called a 'fly' test. We usually think of accommodative infacility as presbyopia, that is inability to focus at a distance of @ 16" when looking down, (the convergence insufficiency listed above) but it can affect intermediate and distance areas of vision also.

The main focusing lens in the human eye is the crystalline lens. (The cornea can be adjusted for focus also, but much less, and it is usually accomplished by squinting.) As we age, the crystalline lens hardens and the zonules that control the shape of the crystalline lens cannot shape it as fast as it used to. Eventually, the ability to focus at near vision distances becomes insufficient, and reading glasses (or bifocals, trifocals, or progressive lenses) are prescribed.

The ability to focus at distance is still useable, but slowed in accomodation by then. This is why Trap shooters are advised to use 'soft focus' on a more distant object than the traphouse. (It works at all ages, but becomes more crucial after presbyopia onset.) To focus on a nearer object, the zonules compress the crystalline lens, and apparently they can do this faster than pull the lens thinner. (Also the reason why it takes longer to get your 'soft focus'.)
As the crystalline lens continues to harden, it also become opaque; sometimes gradually, sometimes faster. This conditions is well known, cataracts. If you are facing cataract surgery, I urge you do DO YOUR RESEARCH! Not only on the Doctor, but the various lenses available.

I am just an optician, BTW; (With ten years experience as an optical lab technician also) but I do tend to research areas of interest to me, especially when they are in my field. Not only do I enjoy learning new things, in this case, it has helped with not only understanding my ocular conditions, it has helped me guide patients in frame and lens selection that will help them, and maybe even look good. ;)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it was level, (not looking down) it was a stereopsis test.
Yes, it was level. The letter “Z” was projected to the screen across the room.
the ability to focus at near vision distances becomes insufficient, and reading glasses (or bifocals, trifocals, or progressive lenses) are prescribed.
I’ve been wearing progressive lenses so long, I can’t even remember how long at this point. I noticed recently that the near vision is somewhat worse. I needed to reflow some solder joints on a circuit board with olde fashion surface mount components. It was almost impossible with or without glasses.
I urge you do DO YOUR RESEARCH! Not only on the Doctor, but the various lenses available.
I can assure you that will happen. I can jump on the PATCO train and be at Wills Eye Hospital (Philadelphia) in 40 minutes from my house, but I’ll go anyplace I need to be. The internet is my friend as well. My doctor, has to his credit, been an editor of medical textbooks on eyes. I believe he’ll point me in the right direction.
I do tend to research areas of interest to me
As just an EMT, so do I. It’s usually on something that’ll kill you sooner rather than later.
and maybe even look good.
Yeah, that horse has left the barn. I’m so ugly, I have to sneak up on a mirror.

·
Registered
34,299 Posts
If it was level, (not looking down) it was a stereopsis test. Was it a picture of a fly? This is the usual image, and the test is often called a 'fly' test. We usually think of accommodative infacility as presbyopia, that is inability to focus at a distance of @ 16" when looking down, (the convergence insufficiency listed above) but it can affect intermediate and distance areas of vision also.

The main focusing lens in the human eye is the crystalline lens. (The cornea can be adjusted for focus also, but much less, and it is usually accomplished by squinting.) As we age, the crystalline lens hardens and the zonules that control the shape of the crystalline lens cannot shape it as fast as it used to. Eventually, the ability to focus at near vision distances becomes insufficient, and reading glasses (or bifocals, trifocals, or progressive lenses) are prescribed.

The ability to focus at distance is still useable, but slowed in accomodation by then. This is why Trap shooters are advised to use 'soft focus' on a more distant object than the traphouse. (It works at all ages, but becomes more crucial after presbyopia onset.) To focus on a nearer object, the zonules compress the crystalline lens, and apparently they can do this faster than pull the lens thinner. (Also the reason why it takes longer to get your 'soft focus'.)
As the crystalline lens continues to harden, it also become opaque; sometimes gradually, sometimes faster. This conditions is well known, cataracts. If you are facing cataract surgery, I urge you do DO YOUR RESEARCH! Not only on the Doctor, but the various lenses available.

I am just an optician, BTW; (With ten years experience as an optical lab technician also) but I do tend to research areas of interest to me, especially when they are in my field. Not only do I enjoy learning new things, in this case, it has helped with not only understanding my ocular conditions, it has helped me guide patients in frame and lens selection that will help them, and maybe even look good. ;)
Clarification, please…..is the ability to “soft focus“ lost after cataract surgery? I am assuming so and am wondering if not an issue if I get both eyes fixed for distance when the time comes. My brother got multi focal and regrets it.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
You are right, Rick. There are accommodative IOL's made, but the technology is still fairly new, I'd wait and get distance only at this point. I would never think of getting monovision (one eye set for distance, the other for intermediate or near) IOL's, I don't see why any shotgun shooter would. I know of some pistol shooters who have and love it, but personally, I'd rather wear readers, or one contact as a reader, instead. At least that way, you can put it in and take it out as needed.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Very interesting as I am closing in on 63 and it seems like I don't see the targets as well as a year ago. I see my eye doctor in January and it is always good to have some things to bounce off of her. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would recommend getting a second and third exam with the best doctors you can find. Being in south Jersey you might have to take a road trip to north Jersey or NYC. I would do that before you let people start chopping on your eyes.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I recently had an eye doctor exam.
Don't believe that was a test they gave me.
He did say my vision was excellent.
And told him I was wanting a reason for my very poor shooting.
He did say that my vision was probably better than 95% of the other competitors.
Next year's visit I will hopefully remember to ask about the test the OP wrote about.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
might have to take a road trip to north Jersey or NYC. I would do therefore you let people start chopping on your eyes.
Like I said above, I'll go anywhere... after some more testing to figure out just what exactly the problem is, and what the most effective solution is. I might be heading SOUTH as the top rated hospital is in Miami - Bascom Palmer Eye Institute—University of Miami Hospitals and Clinics. Wills Eye is #2, right across the river from me.

"Chopping" may be a tad premature... let's figure out what's wrong. Maybe a therapy is in order.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Ken,
So sorry to read this. It is good to begin to understand what is happening with your vision. Hopefully, you being a young buck, you can stop any progression and figure it out.
Miss seeing you. Seems like the Pine Belt women have had a few issues lately.
Happy Thanksgiving and try not to worry. I look forward to hearing the details.
c

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
I remember when I didn’t want to use reading glasses. I would read for about 45 minutes and my eyes would be real tired. Then I would look up, and the whole world was blurry. One day it took 45 minutes for distance vision to normalize after reading, and I gave in and started using reading glasses. Presbyopia and delayed accommodation are just some of the rewards of surviving all the stupid things you did when younger. Not long after that, if I came indoors from sunlight I would be blind for a few minutes waiting for my pupils to dialate. Sunglasses are no longer optional.

It sucks that there is actually a disorder worse than just the usual old eye crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: entropy and Ken C.

·
Premium Member
6,445 Posts
Phil video did wonders for me.
My eye surgeon watched my copy and said it was a great start in the right direction. Your eyes need training as we get older.
We used to see that hot girl and several other in the store. Now it is hard to keep focus on just one.
Steve

·
Registered
250 Posts
Probably 20+ years ago I was at a shoot in Arizona and an eye doctor was there with a tent. He was testing people for free. My accomocation for near to far was so slow he was astonished. Anyway, after eye training and exercises that left you tipsy, my eyes could accomodate in both directions really fast. Also my scores went up ! I recommended it to any shooter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts