Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At some shoots (State shoots) I noticed that there are categories for Resident--Non-Resident and for Open.
I understand what Resident and Non-Resident mean but for some disciplines such as Handicap or Doubles etc there are only two categories such as Resident and then Open. Is the "Open" just another term for non-resident? Even more confusing is that I see shooters that I know are residents and they are in the "Open" category.
I'm confused.
Thank you,
Dennis.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Littleboots.
So if you declare "Resident" you cannot shoot in the "Open" in the same event? Or can you shoot in both categories?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
13,114 Posts
I thought it was like the new army - 'don't ask - don't tell.'

In other words, it is the class open to skeet shooters...

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Dennis, that is a discussion that happens almost every year for the State Shoot program. Open gives the resident two bites at the apple. It is available to either group. There is no registering as a resident, you either are a resident of that state or you're not. I have always spoken in favor of resident/non resident trophies. It is easier for the cashiering and fairer to the non resident JMO. As you can see I have always been in the minority :(

Thank you for the note on Jim Z.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
In states that don't get enough shooters to justify the Non resident category.
Some opt for open trophies.
They are open to both resident and non resident shooters.

Example.
If you are a resident in B class and the top score is 98 you would win the resident prize
If the next high score is 97 in B class that would take open. Could be a resident or non resident.

Some states on preliminary days make all trophies open so they only need the one trophy.

·
Registered
10,712 Posts
At state shoots you may see "Resident" (open ONLY to Residents of that state) --"Non Resident" (open to only to Non Residents of that state)--- "Open" (open to ALL shooters at the tournament). The reason for the confusion is that that not ALL states have the "Non Resident" categories. In the states that doe not have them The Open Category is used. State residents in those states may compete for ANY trophy at the shoot while Non residents may compete only for Open trophies.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bob.
Hope to see you soon at the club. I went by the "Bunker" yesterday--VERY IMPRESSIVE!! WOW. The "Canopy" looks awesome.
All the best,
Dennis.

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
Illinois State Trapshooters Association has about, if not the same, number of trophies ... Nice trophies too.

Plus, it's one of the best facilities in the country to shoot a state shoot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts