Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a little rant, and I would like some others input on this as well. I am out of town with work and I found a great looking, well maintained, well groomed little club to shoot at. Their shoot times are posted on Sundays and league night on Tuesday. I went out to shoot with them today and several others were there as well. The guys that run the club just decided to not shoot that day and no one showed up to unlock the houses. According to the others that are regulars. This is a normal occurrence. This is also the second out of the three times I've showed up to shoot with others that they have just decided not to shoot. My rant is how is this club able to keep operating with out loosing money, and If your going to run a club, run a club not your own personal playground and if its your own personal play ground, don't open it up for others to shoot at.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
There's one like that in my area also.
I don't go there.
The club I frequent shoots in almost any weather and on holidays 52 weeks a year.
And we bring our dogs in the clubhouse.

Maybe find a different club.
Bill

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Every gun club has the obligation to promote shooting and bring in new shooters to support our Second Amendment Rights. Further, typically, gun clubs weren't built by the current members, they were built by past members who handed down the legacy of the gun club through the years. Current members are only stewards of that legacy and should honor it by ensuring the club will continue after they are gone.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the members of the club in question are very poor stewards of the legacy that they have been given. Shame on them.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Well, the other side to the coin is: Keep two full-paid staff on hand - just in case somebody shows up. Go broke in the process. Growing Pains. There is a size club where it is difficult to stay open and equally difficult to stay closed. Please be tollerant; at least the club is in existence, which is better than nothing at all.

Or, go on and boycott the poor ol' thing until you break it, and it will close up quickly. Help kill off another club. On the other hand, go out of your most convenient way of shooting to nurture it, and maybe it will grow enough to establish regular hours.

M.D.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
It is Memorial Day weekend! Our club is all volunteer run, and there is only a few of us that do most of the work. We do have a website with a calendar, and contact numbers listed. I opened the range last Sunday and nobody showed up to shoot. I mowed the grass and went home. The biggest complainers are usually the ones that seldom do anything to help. Next time you might call ahead, if you going to be dropping in from out of town.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yup not nice, but people forget that it is a lot of doing to get a shoot open even for practice. Lots of folks complain but can't find the time or effort to help out. If you really enjoy shooting g there perhaps you could member up and help out with the working end, although from my experience most volunteers are never appreciated and often abused when things aren't pleasing everyone. Old saying be a part of the solution or part of the problem.

·
Registered
32,249 Posts
No way to run a business?????

It is not a business, it is a private club, open to the public. Most clubs operate on a non profit tax exempt basis. That being the case, the club is not dependent on the public or making a profit. It is funded by the membership. If you look at shoot programs or websites carefully, most will say, "call before arrival."

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
What about a club that has a number of Championship (their word) events, some 100 targets, some 200, and they schedule every one of them at 4 p.m. on Tuesday? Even though the club is open to all shooters, do you think the retirees who run the trap program are very interested in having anyone other than retirees show up. Who else can be there at 4 on a weekday?

Reactions: fvtrkyhntr

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the others that have been there the other two out of three times that we didn't shoot. Have constantly asked for a key to open for them if they are not going to do it, and one of them is the one that does the mowing for club.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did Call, was told they should be shooting and it was someone else's turn to unlock. Then the members called the man that was supposed to unlock and his response was not coming out don't feel like it. They all said this happens way to much.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Did you become a member?

No range has an obligation to serve anyone. If you recall there's that woman who will not allow anyone with a Muslim profile to shoot at her club.

Yes those small clubs are if fact the semi private playgrounds of the members.

If you are wanting to shoot in the evening hours turning on the lights will cost more than you will ever give them in profit.

I'd find a way to communicate with them or just continue to take your chances.

Just remember if you are not a member you're a guest.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I say vote with your wallet and your feet, and take your dollars where they actually want them. Been there done that. Don't feel bad about worthless clubs failing. They make the sport look bad anyway. Better to be gone than creating a bunch of shooter frustration.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did in fact become a member. I don't think it would be right of me to shoot there with out supporting the club in some other way than just my presence. They do not have lights on the grounds. So they do not have to worry about it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
In my opinion, it is not worth the drama, just find another club to shoot at. That little club you went to, it sounded like it is operated by a close group of friends who like to keep it really private. Public can shoot there when they feel like opening up but it is not an obligation for them. They are probably well funded enough to not care about income from the public.

If it is up to me however, I would not want to run a club like that. While it is true that public members are simply guests, it is not a good idea to foster ill feeling towards your club. If you do run into political trouble later on (eg. citizens start complaining about how evil guns are and wants to close you down), you'll want support from the general public. One good example is the Sunnyvale Rod & Gun club here in California. Many expensive houses got built around them, and well connected millionaire owners tried to shut them down (you have to be REALLY rich to own a house in the mountain here in Silicon Valley). However, the club has always been to open to public for a few days each week and has a large customer base who like to shoot there, so the best the owners could get away with was that they would not operate on alternate Sundays.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
I did in fact become a member. I don't think it would be right of me to shoot there with out supporting the club in some other way than just my presence. They do not have lights on the grounds. So they do not have to worry about it.
Thanks for your reply, now as a member you should iron this out with your fellow club members. Coming on here and bashing your club is not productive. They may be reading everything you are saying.

This is not the place to conduct club business.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is why I never mentioned the club by name or the location

·
Registered
474 Posts
Our club would be like that if we didn't have several members with a key to open up. Not all of us have a cash box so it is punch card or on-your-honor to pay for targets later. At least the targets are cheap.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts