Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is going on with Federal Shells lately. I have been re-loading Federal Gold Medal plastics for 25 years, and never had a problem. they were my go to hull for handicap, because of low recoil. I only re-load hulls in good condition, and or once fired hulls. The last few weeks, the plastic tube blows off of the brass. The brass gets jammed behind the ejector, and I have to get it out with a rod. The plastic tube "has been" blowing out the barrel on those. Yesterday I had 2 out of 14 shots that did that, but the plastic tube seized up at the forcing cone in the barrel. It took 25 minutes to get it out by jamming a wad down the muzzle end of the barrel to catch the end of the hull, and push it out with a rod. It took about 4 times with a new wad each time to get the stuck plastic hull out. Thinking it was an anomaly, I went out to finish the round, and had the same problem 14 shots later. I pulled off the squad, and not being able to get the stuck plastic part of the hull out of the barrel, I had to wrap it up and go home.

The only thing different is that having had some hollow sounding shells with 22 grains of green dot with a Fiochi primer & claybuster S-3 wads. I have switched to 20 grains of Red Dot for winter shooting, with CCI mag primers. I also tried using the Down Range S-3. They feel softer than the Green Dot loads and are fast on handicaps. Loading data shows the chamber pressures close to the same.

Is Federal just making crap shells now??

Nick

·
Registered
923 Posts
If they are the smooth Gold Medals, yes there was a problem. They stopped making them for a reason. Ribbed ones seem to work just fine. IMHO Ron

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
We had some of this going on in my area a couple of years ago, and it seems it always occurred
when guys were loading the smooth sided GM hulls. Federal got wind of this and eventually went back to the ribbed GM hulls like those made years ago. Since the switch I haven't heard of anyone having the problem again. Are yours the smooth or ribbed hull?

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
20 GRAINS OF RED DOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder they are blowing apart.

The smooth hulls have done this at times for the past 2 years.

Brady

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I've been away a long time. When were the smooth ones made? I was shooting the old ribbed ones and the ones now are ribbed too.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I haven't experienced any brass separation but I am having crimping problems.

If the folds don't open evenly my 800C doesn't crimp them correct.

I have to first use a MEC crimp starter to adjust the folds.

These are mainly on the new ribbed hulls.

I have old hulls marked 1982 Grand that still load perfect despite numerous loadings.

IMO shells are not what they used to be.

20grns of Red Dot and a hot primer is a little much unless your a Buddy shooter.

Regards....Gerald

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
When I had problems with the ones I had I noticed that 1oz loads @ 1190 fps were OK but the 11/8's at 1200 would separate.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
"20 GRAINS OF RED DOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder they are blowing apart."- Brady

I completely disagree. I load 19-19.5 grs. of Promo or Red Dot in a Gun Club, STS, Nitro, or Old Style AA, with a Win. pink wad and either Fiocchi,STS, Win,or Cheddite primer. 1 oz of Eagle chilled.

Powders targets and no recoil.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
There was a run I believe it was probably 4 years ago now that the described situation results transpired. New shells were doing it and reloads at various loadings. I never had any new shells or empties loaded once result in such. But between the second and consistently by the fourth loading this circumstance happened. I finally loaded all those once fired for a trip to Tucson where I dumped them. The hulls prior to this run never resulted in issues for me and I don't believe after either. But Federal decided to bring back the ribbed case shortly after incident.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Federal hulls, or any of the straight wall hulls take more powder than a tapered hull like Rem or Win. If you look at the loading data for Red Dot, that is what it calls for. The pressure is not that high, and they don't have much recoil either. that is why I always liked Feds for my handicap loads.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By the way, I never had any problems with the smoothies when I loaded 21 grains Solo 1000, claybuster S-3 wad & Fiochi primers. They were an awesome load. I hope the next shipment of the Solo powder passes their tolerance test, I would love to get it back. That is why I have been experimenting with the green dot & red dot.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I have had a lot of the old ribbed feds separate at the brass and the whole thing go out the barrel. This was with 1-1/4 oz games loads after 4-5 reloads.
They never hurt anything as the whole tube cleared the barrel.

Clyde

1 - 14 of 14 Posts