Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I have been retired now for a couple years. Hard to believe that I am busier now than when I worked at a full time job.

I firmly believe that people who still have to work are jealous of retired people. Recently, I was speaking to a relative who is younger and still works. He said "must be nice being retired when the rest of us have to work, and you sit home receiving your checks"?

I enlightened this young fella that when he was in diapers and still nursing that I got up each and every morning and went to work. I also said someday you will also earn the right to retire too.

When my father retired I purchased a plaque for him with engraving that said "thank you for all the mornings you went to work so I could sleep". I realized that life is a cycle and some day I would have earned the right to retire.

My young punk relative has been in the work force about 10 to 15 years. I think any of us who are retired have earned our retirement and then some and should not have to feel guilty.

Do you agree? I'm also interested to hear from people that are still working, how do they feel?
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Right on the money, Steve.

It's just a cycle and someday it will be that young man's time to retire.

But until that day comes, he needs to keep on keeping on (to work).

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
It's not easy being retired. There is a lot of stuff that has to get done and very little time to do it. I like to shoot all day and reload at night. I had to put two reloaders in my bedroom just to keep up to date. HMB

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Today's generation want everything and they want it now! They want the big house, car, boat, six weeks vacation but don't want to put the time in to get it. No wonder there in debt up to there a$$. My company hire engineers out of college and within a year they think they should be a manager....go figure.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I just retired at the end of July. You are correct Steve, I don't know how I had time to work. My Dad, after he retired, said that he needed to get a job to get a rest.

We have seen a major change in the world economy over the last decade. Wealth is moving from the middle class to the super rich. What I see happening is that the people like us that had a decent job allowed us to accumulate some wealth, so we can afford to have a decent retirement. The young folk that are still working are working a lot harder than we did and getting significantly less than what we did for their efforts. As a result, those still working are envious of what we had and have.

Hopefully, the pendulum starts to swing back soon. Otherwise, our Children and Grandchildren are in for a hard life. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Maybe not Jealousy but certainly Envy. I use to have a plan to make those 'golden years' truly golden but now those plans look more like it might be the 'dark times'. Oh well - I have enough $ to have a pretty good time right now so why gamble on the future.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,505 Posts
I retired when I was 55. That was 15 years ago. I used to feel guilty (like when I used to skip school) but that went away after the first year.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
I retired at 59 and one of the first things friends would say how lucky I was.

They seemed to have forgotten that while they worked the 40 hr week at home I worked out of town all week during my working career and most of those jobs were 10 hrs a day 6 days a week .

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I was working I had an elderly neighbor who was retired. He had some medical problems and was limited physically on what he could do. He often told me to enjoy being young and being physically able to work.

At that time, I did not really understand his thought process. Years later, I finally understand what he meant.

My wife read what I told my nephew and she said " I can not believe you told him " that when he was in diapers and still nursing that I got up each and every morning and went to work".

I told her "what's wrong with that, it's true"? Like that movie said " some people can't handle the truth".
Steve

·
Registered
544 Posts
Since I retired, a number of people have commented 'You are so lucky'!!??

My reply to them is: 'Luck is the coincidence of preparation and opportunity' and 'You know, the harder I worked, the luckier I got'.

Time for a nap....

Chris

·
Registered
553 Posts
YIPEEEE, I retired today, had a retirement party , received a nice watch, and a bunch of gift cards from the company and employees. Wow , it didn't sink in yet!!What am I gona do???Joe RETIRED!!!

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
trapshooterjoe7,, keep a game plan going because if your wife asks what are you going to do today and you don't have an answer she will have something for you. After that she will think it's her duty to keep you busy. lol

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I retired from the USPS 2 years ago and immediately went into the landlord business. I was able to do these things because I PLANNED AHEAD. I am amazed at how many people just drift through life and then are surprised and disappointed when they are old and poor. Who was it that wrote "the unexamined life is not worth living"? Bill

·
Registered
629 Posts
I retired in July at 70 years old after working 52 years and feel like I planned for it and deserve it. I am certainly enjoying it. However, I sense there is an attitude developing, which is fueled by the media, that those of us who are retired are somehow riding on the backs of those still working, and perhaps that is true to a degree. That being said we certainly did our part, played by the rules, and contributed our share. I am a bit careful of who I discuss retirement with, particularly in any detail.
Jim

1 - 20 of 58 Posts