IMG_3822.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,891 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is known as a 'lovejoy' connection - should be easy to match up one... You need a rubber bushing with six arms for the one you have.

Sorry my meaning is that part is a pain. The love joy. Some times it is easy to join in the blind with nothing to turn some times it is a pain.
That is just an old seized bearing in that motor. I still have to repair. 5 new motors just arrived.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry my meaning is that part is a pain. The love joy. Some times it is easy to join in the blind with nothing to turn some times it is a pain.
That is just an old seized bearing in that motor. I still have to repair. 5 new motors just arrived.
Buy New Loy Joys, 3/2 jaw puller should work. Motor vertical plastic bag zip tied to shaft fill bag with nut buster/penetrating oil etc should free up the coupling after sitting several days.

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buy New Loy Joys, 3/2 jaw puller should work. Motor vertical plastic bag zip tied to shaft fill bag with nut buster/penetrating oil etc should free up the coupling after sitting several days.
Lots of new pullers.
Thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
12,891 Posts

Ahh, You need a wheel/gear puller. You can buy or make one. - Bolt-Type Wheel Puller Set

As noted above, a good application and soak with penetrating oil (I like PB Blaster or Free - Kroil is OK too) and then go at it with the puller. You might want to center punch the motor shaft with a sharp punch and then drill a small indentation dead center for the foot of the puller to rest in (they typically have a point or nub on then that likes to sit into a small depression).

A little heat can be your friend as well.

Alignment when putting it together - you really want a second set of hands and figure someway to spin the shaft while doing the assembly. Not sure - maybe a small screw driver coming in from one side to rotate things into alignment. One set of hands does the 'assembly' while the other works on the rotation.

'Spray-Tac' might help to - to keep the bushing in place on one side while you assemble the whole joint.

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahh, You need a wheel/gear puller. You can buy or make one. - Bolt-Type Wheel Puller Set

As noted above, a good application and soak with penetrating oil (I like PB Blaster or Free - Kroil is OK too) and then go at it with the puller. You might want to center punch the motor shaft with a sharp punch and then drill a small indentation dead center for the foot of the puller to rest in (they typically have a point or nub on then that likes to sit into a small depression).

A little heat can be your friend as well.

Alignment when putting it together - you really want a second set of hands and figure someway to spin the shaft while doing the assembly. Not sure - maybe a small screw driver coming in from one side to rotate things into alignment. One set of hands does the 'assembly' while the other works on the rotation.

'Spray-Tac' might help to - to keep the bushing in place on one side while you assemble the whole joint.
Thanks for your advice

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Any Electrical Motor repair shop should have the parts on hand to fix your problem if your lucky while you wait

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Steve,

The Lovejoy usually has at least one set screw holding it in place, sometimes two, one over the Key and one at 90° from that directly on the shaft.

Be sure to release these before you try to remove the coupling.

You would be surprised how many people don't know what these are for.

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Steve,

The Lovejoy usually has at least one set screw holding it in place, sometimes two, one over the Key and one at 90° from that directly on the shaft.

Be sure to release these before you try to remove the coupling.

You would be surprised how many people don't know what these are for.
Thanks I knew about them. But your help us welcome.
Steve

1 - 20 of 24 Posts