Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called the local gun shop looking for a 20 ga for my boy. They have a used skb 20 with a 26” barrel. They say it just say “field” on it so I’m not positive on what it is. One guy said it’s like a Ithaca 300xl. So if anyone can help me out on this I would appreciate it. Looking at this for possible first trap gun for a 11 yr old.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
You didn't say if it was a SxS, O/U, or an auto, SKB made all 3. The auto was/is prone to breakdowns with parts a problem. Both of the others were pretty good guns, but not designed for Trap, too short, fixed chokes, shoot flat, etc. Just watched a small 12 year old clean the clocks of 175 shooters while using a 12 ga Trap gun, so I'd go with a 12 ga and load 7/8 or 1 oz loads.

JMHO, Pat

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You didn't say if it was a SxS, O/U, or an auto, SKB made all 3. The auto was/is prone to breakdowns with parts a problem. Both of the others were pretty good guns, but not designed for Trap, too short, fixed chokes, shoot flat, etc. Just watched a small 12 year old clean the clocks of 175 shooters while using a 12 ga Trap gun, so I'd go with a 12 ga and load 7/8 or 1 oz loads.

JMHO, Pat
Thanks. Yes it is a semi auto with 26” barrel. The boy is pushing 70 lbs so not sure if I want to go with a 12 or 20. I’m going to have him shoot my older boys a300 and see how he does. Only problem is the a300 is to long length of pull so doesn’t fit him well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts