Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any personal experience with Jack Bart in MD. By experience I mean going through his gun fitting process. I have been in contact with him and I let him know I am in the beginning stages of selling an over/under and buying a new one. He recommended that I get fitted before I make any new purchases.

It's $200 to for a fitting session with him. In my head, I am thinking - wouldn't I want to go through the fitting process with my new shotgun? Am I totally off base?

I am new to the sport - so forgive me if I sound naive.

Jack has been very responsive through phone and email - just want to make sure if I spend $200 it is money well spent.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I don’t know if this helps but I have seen Jack set up at the Sarasota Gun Club for the last few years selling guns and I have never heard any complaints.

I would not be afraid of dealing with him.

Ron Burdick

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I don't know Jack Bart but have a gun fit to you is never a bad idea.
Especially if you are new to the game.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know Jack Bart but have a gun fit to you is never a bad idea.
Especially if you are new to the game.
Totally agree, but I do not have my new shotgun yet. So he would be fitting me to guns that I don't own. I feel like I would have to do another fitting after I end up purchasing.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Guessing that maybe he's trying to help you buy a gun that can be fitted to you as opposed to one that maybe can be fitted.
Even with two fittings you very well could be well ahead on cost.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I met him back when he had the store in Glen Burnie, seemed like a very nice guy. I miss his gun store a lot it was about the only place around here to find a nice trap or skeet gun on the rack... I bought my first there... nice Beretta 303 trap...

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I'm not sure why you would get fitted before you buy a gun.
Are going to use those dimensions to order the new gun?
Have you decided on a gun? Are you buying from Mr Bart?

I guess I confused as well.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Stop, Look, and Listen. Go slow here. Think about what you are about to do or don't do.

Seek out counsel from good shooters in the venue you want to pursue - trap, skeet, sporting clays - which one?

Once you decide on the venue and the good shooters that have counseled you in that particular venue, then purchase your gun and have the new gun seller throw in the fitting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had Jack fit my stock. His work is thorough. His price is fair. I can shoot my gun a hundred handicap loads and not know I ever picked it up. I'd recommend checking up on some of the terms and measurements he will assist you with. It's helpful for you to know what is being adjusted and why.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Not to second guess Jack but fitting to an unknown gun seems like putting the cart before the horse. Jack sells Guerini's and Blasers plus maybe more. I would meet with him at PG Trap and Skeet to demo some guns to see what works for you.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm not sure why you would get fitted before you buy a gun.
Are going to use those dimensions to order the new gun?
Have you decided on a gun? Are you buying from Mr Bart?

I guess I confused as well.
I did the fitting thing with Jack, and had my "fit" in hand as I shopped for the gun and found one that needed very little adjustment. Jack is a really good guy. I have dealt with him many times. I suspect he will get your fittings and then help you find a gun you like and then finish the fit. I recommend Jack very highly.

ps: He also has three of my guns on consignment. Maybe one will fit you:)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Is it possible that Jack does fitting with a "try gun" and is just asking you to do that part in order to get the measurements before selecting a new gun? It really sounds like you misinterpreted what he was trying to tell you...

--Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts