Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the choke named on the end of my model 20,,12 GAUGE it's got a looks like a brake with holes in it and a choke screwed in that is like an inch from hooking up or has a space from the barrel ,, when shooting trap the guy on the right of me complains of being hit with parts of a wad and shot, it says LONG RANGE on the screw in piece,, no other chokes do I have,,, is the choke supposed to be an inch away from the barrel? Can anyone who owns a JC Higgins give me any info? sorry no pictures,,, made in the fifties, says jc Higgins, sears roebuck,583/58 no serial number great shotgun,, but. thanks Ray Smithson Monterey Ca.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
It's nicknamed a "Dial-A-Duck".

Yes, this is an early attempt at screw in choke tubes. Big fugly vented housing with a choke tube that is spaced out from the end of the barrel.

Keep in mind that when this contraption was designed that wads were cardboard and felt, and hulls were paper. I've always wondered if it is wise to be using a plastic wad with these chokes, as the fingers start opening the moment they leave the barrel.

The JC Higgins line was originally sold through Sears. The pump with the Dial-A-Duck was the Model 20. High Standard actually made them.

I hacksawed mine off and trued the muzzle, making my Jc Higgins into a defense shotgun. Built like a tank, reliable and no disconnector. Wish I still had it.

Click the link for a pdf of the original owners manual.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have one. The part that gets chopped off the wad is the skirt of the over powder wad. Short skirts like the Federal 12C1 help to minimise the problem. IMHO Ron

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
That is a fairly solid pump gun, made by Manufrance if I guess right. Don't mess with the choke/tube, it's not so bad. the lettering on the main body might give a clue.

The end of those had a copy of the Cutts Compensator made just different enough to avoid patent infringement. Unlike the cutts, the choke tube went down inside the main body a little ways.

This compensator was US made, and I did at one time see chokes available somewhere. As a teen I fondled them at Sears but never got one.

HM

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Found it........JC Higgins Power-Pac they were called, Chokes float up on Ebay all the time. 20 gauge might be harder to find........incidentally they put those grenade launchers on the bolt action shotguns too.

HM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You all have helped me solve my problem with your pictures and explanations, thanks so much, have to say it's a heck of a shotgun,, guess i'll have to have people step back or use a shorter wad as was said ... thanks again Ray

1 - 9 of 9 Posts