Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that Iver Johnson SxS are valued 10 times or more than their single barrel Champion shotguns? Did Iver Johnson have some other company make the SxS guns for them?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
The single shot I had was nothing more than a hunting gun with a solid rib. The hammer had to be pulled before each shot. Tough on thumbs after a hundred. Nothing really distinct or pleasurable in appearance or function. Just a little polish to a field shooter.

But a SxS has that memorizing effect. It has been handed down for generations. It is the spoken choice of many classic hunting stories, books and lore. It is rich in American history. It is the "one".

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
For many years after pumps and autos gained favor very few people wanted doubles and the prices reflected that. Then with the advent of The Double Gun Journal and other magazines writing about doubles they are popular again and the prices have skyrocketed. Bud

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
To add another note to the previous answers. Iver Johnson made utilitarian single shot shotguns for hunting market. Keeping in mind the time they made these guns a SXS was 1 or 2 months salary. Price dictated selection. On the other hand they made SXS that where reasonable in price compared to Parker, Fox, LC Smith. They got good advertising from there Skeeter models which are beautiful, limited production skeet guns. They utilized the same Hercules Action but had great wood, beavertail forends, and nice hand checkering. All of there double where pleasing to the eye and handled well. With the difficulty of building doubles cost a lot more than a single shot too.
For price comparison. There are single shots everywhere, but a good double is slim pickins.... The last real 410 Skeeter I saw was in the $4000=$4500 range.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
P.S. Unless you wanted to sell me one. They are "Junk", "I can do you a favor"
"I'll help you out", "It's just an Iver Johnson" lol ba ha ha ha

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just a mention here if any of you is lucky enough to own a Iver J .410 sxs skeeter and needs a beautiful Bastogne set of R hand wood---new--I have one I'd love to make someone a great deal on! Phil Simms (970) 523-9566

1 - 6 of 6 Posts