Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And, no hair hasn't grown on my palm and I'm no more near sighted than before. I decided to polish my barrel with some compound. Something brown has come off and I don't know what it is. Doesn't look like rust and it's not oil. So, what is it?? Barrel shined up great but the brown stuff has me stumped.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As my old College proffesor exclaimed during a demonstration of static electricity with a carbon rod under his arm while furiously stroking it with a rabbit pelt "You've got to rub your rod until you get a charge".

I can't figure out why my lab partner and I were the only ones with our hands clapped over our mouths rolling on the ground with in stifled, grimacing laughter. It was the best we could do considering the circumstances.

·
Registered
519 Posts
How long has it been since u cleaned it. Particles of dirt and debris float through the air, landing upon your barrel, and you cant see them because they are so small. It might be that who knows

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
IF the gun was re blued ?? But I have seen this a lot when Black Oxide was done instead of blue.

I had a couple of old British 303's black oxide treated and it took quite a while to get the brown-reddish gunk removed from the all the cracks and crannies.

Rock

Jim

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments. I clean the gun thoroughly after shooting every week. It's the outside of the barrel and there is no sign of rust. I use jewelry polishing compound and it has come out real nice. It's not the compound. Looks like the color of rust on my cotton ball. ???????

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The only polish to use on a blued gun is Flitz and it shouldn't be used but once every couple of years. It supposedly will not hurt hot blued guns, but it will take cold blue right off the metal.

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.