Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
For most of my trapshooting career I shot a Remington 870 TB. When I first started out I had the standard 30" full choke barrel. As I got older and lost some strength I switched to a 28 inch barrel.

I went out to the local gun club today and realized even the 28" barrel is now to heavy for me. My gun kicks harder than what I remember. I realized I have two choices, one, either quit and visit area gun clubs like a groupie, or two, purchase a semi auto trap gun.

For the most part, I have usually always been a Remington man, but truth be told the 1100 or 1187 is just to heavy for me nowadays. A friend of mine has a mint 303 trap that he will let me try and if I like it he will sell it to me for a good price as he no longer uses it.

When I was younger I would sometimes shoot with older shooters that complained about the weight and recoil of their guns and today is the first day that I fully understand what they were going through.

I shot a 15 out of 25 and should probably walk away from the game, as I no longer shoot competitively. But trapshooting has been my life for the past 43 years. The low scores do bother me, but I never really had a lot of skill in this sport, but I still love the game and talking to my friends at area clubs.

Are the semi auto trap Beretta's the lightest semi auto trap gun on the market. How does the recoil compare to other models?

Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Steve, I agree with the idea of a 20 gauge. If you mostly just shoot practice 16s, you'll do just fine with the 20...plus the lighter weight and less recoil will likely pick you up a few birds.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Steve, because of two bulging discs in my neck and bone growth around the holes where the nerves exit the cervical vertebrae, the nerves to my left arm got badly pinched. Not only did the feel at times like my arm was being twisted to the breaking point, but I lost over half my arm and hand strength, closer to two thirds loss, actually.

My 1187 trap gun was just too fatiguing to hold up and my scores suffered.

I took an 1187 20ga, and fitted a 12ga monte carlo stock to it by reducing the size of the tenon. Fits fine and has the same POI as my trap gun. It weighs considerably less and very soft shooting. My scores for singles and doubles are the same as with my 12ga, but you have to be a bit deliberate about movement because it weighs less. It's not quite as smooth as a heavier gun. Dunno about 'caps, haven't tried them with it. It's like a 7/8 scale trap gun.

I had C5-C6-C7 fused and the bone spurs were removed. Most of my strength in the left arm has come back. So I've gone back to the 12ga for most of my trap shooting. I mainly use the 20ga for sporting clays, with the monte carlo stock left on it.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
On top of that, I have not had a migraine in almost two years (well, 1-3/4, actually).

The discs were pushing into the spinal cord, giving me debilitating migraines.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
These small framed 20 ga guns often have vicious recoil, especially with one ounce loads.

I would recommend an exercise program, if you are up to it.

We spend thousands on our guns, but often put no effort into being fit enough to utilize them to their full potential.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
You Pussy.....(J/K)

I am 74 and shoot a 90T. That sucker is heavy, all right. But I never shoot a round of trap without using a Gun buddy (or other brand) foam with a magnet gun rest.

I only have to hold the gun while shooting. I did misplace the damn thing and a round of trap kind of wore me out.

You can deal with the recoil however you want, Kickeeze pad, Soft touch type gadget, etc. It all works.

I find light autos to be a PITA. I have seen Benelli owners come out and brag about the gun, but if they stayed with the game they wound up shooting break guns.

Get yourself a BT-99 and a couple Gun Buddys and enjoy the game.

HM

·
Registered
14,695 Posts
Steve, Lit and the others are right. You will be surprised how well a 20 gauge can hit birds at 16 - 20 yards, even with a Mod. choke and 7/8 oz loads.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Any Beretta 300 series is light weight, soft shooting and extremely reliable. Shoot 1 oz. loads and have the stock adjusted to fit you. You will enjoy it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts