Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you shooters who have adjustable guns, adjust them?

I have a friend who has adjusted his comb, rib, butt plate, and glasses more than anyone I know. When does it end, or better yet does it ever? He can adjust all the parts to his gun, so fast, a NASCAR pit crew would be impressed. When you start adjusting your meds and oxygen level settings, to shoot better, chances are your hooked on trap shooting.

He is my friend, and this is all done to get through the winter and back to shooting. Feel free to share stories about those "Inspector Gadget" shooters and their toys.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
It was the same when I rode a lot.

There were guys who loved to ride.
There were guys who loved to tinker.
There were guys who loved to shine them.

But we were all having a great time.

I have a friend who has about warn out the wrenches adjusting his gun.
He knows he shouldn't but he is having a great time.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I once saw a fellow shooter change chokes in the middle of a league round.
He never kept a gun through a whole summer.
It seemed like everyone had one of his cast offs.
Bill

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm more of a "set it and forget it" type. I'll adjust the comb and butt pad to fit me, then adjust the rib to shoot close to the POI I want and that's it. I may tweak things for a final fit after shooting it some but, after I get comfortable with the gun I don't mess with it. Trap shooting is a mental game of repetition; see the bird, shoot the bird....Add in a bunch of other variables like accounting for a different POI because you adjusted the gun and repetition gets more difficult.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
maybe adjust something seasonal for clothing change, Such as a coat.

Other wise I am a set it and forget it guy as well.

DGH

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Often adjusting your gun's fit is the road to perdition. LOL

Generally I see this type of fella have a bad outing and next thing you know he's at his car tinkering with the fit cause it can't possibly be his fault! LOL I'm also a set and forget kind of guy.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have an adjustable gun because I would probably wear the screws out, too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm a get it where you want it and leave it guy, but with weight changes you need to adjust the comb to the side for changes to compensate for the weight changes. I know a guy who had lost quite a bit of weight over a couple of years but not dieting. I was talking to him one day and he mentions he is having trouble with straight away targets, I asked him if he had adjusted the cheek piece any since he has lost all this weight. This prompted him going to the pattern board and he said he was amazed how much he needed to move the cheek piece over. He is now breaking those straight away targets and shooting higher scores. Oh and he is really happy.

PerazziDave

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
I've never touched the adjustable POI on my ST-100. It break first targets and second targets in ATA doubles exactly where it's supposed to. I've even shot bunker with it with some success.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I've never touched the adjustable POI on my ST-100. It break first targets and second targets in ATA doubles exactly where it's supposed to. I've even shot bunker with it with some success.

Ron Burr
had a buddy that broke 100 straight the first time he shot his new gun, traded it off that afternoon. everyone on the squad was shooting one of his old guns.

jack mc

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
TRAPSHOOTERS: (n) people who can't stand a little success.

True stories......

IE: shot a 99 today.....man am I pissed off about that one bird.
IE: broke 100 today......upset cause I didn't smoke'em all. (chipped a few)
IE: broke 200 straight today at the state shoot.....selling that gun to a buddy of mine this evening.
IE: have a 95 average in doubles....sold the gun....just isn't working for me.

Tinker on fellas'. LOL

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
had a buddy that broke 100 straight the first time he shot his new gun, traded it off that afternoon. everyone on the squad was shooting one of his old guns.

jack mc
I've never owned a shotgun with choke tubes or an adjustable anything. When Unsingles and adjustables ribs showed up I had already bought my lifetime supply of trap guns as it turned out.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I've seen shooters go out and shoot 100 straight and then the next shoot they'll miss one and start adjusting the gun and then shoot terrible. If the gun shot great once its probably you who needs adjustments next time instead of the shotgun...Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts