Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all....
I have A shotgun that when I put a bore laser in it, it shows a spot about an inch to the left in 12yds when the beads are in line.
I have moved the comb in both directions and it seems not to matter that much.
I have just added an adjustable add a rib and it is the same.
I'm thinking that I can correct the sight picture by adjusting the add a rib one way or the other. The Add a Rib is 26 3/4" long.
The question is... do I rotate the front of the Add a Rib towards the laser spot?
thanx
mike

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
Hello all....
I have A shotgun that when I put a bore laser in it, it shows a spot about an inch to the left in 12yds when the beads are in line.
I have moved the comb in both directions and it seems not to matter that much.
I have just added an adjustable add a rib and it is the same.
I'm thinking that I can correct the sight picture by adjusting the add a rib one way or the other. The Add a Rib is 26 3/4" long.
The question is... do I rotate the front of the Add a Rib towards the laser spot?
thanx
mike
First, I darn sure wouldn't trust a Lazer. I've yet to see one precise enough that I would monkey with a barrel. Put it on paper from a bench rest.

Secondly, if your moving the comb and still aligning the beads, it's not going to change impact point. Take the center bead off so your not messing with using it.

Finally, throw the Lazer away and do it right. On paper from a bench.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Yes, bore lasers are okay to get a "big ball park" idea where your gun points, BUT West's post above is excellent! You MUST carefully shoot controlled patterns to truly and accurately determine where your barrel shoots. Search out and follow Neil Winston's threads on this forum. Regards...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After you've done all the above, disregard eveything, and shoot the gun. See if your breaks are centered, or if you're missing targets, especially straightaways, that you thought you were on target.
Easy to say...
Of course I did that....
When I added the add a rib I took it to the pattern board. First I shot The CG from 12yds with a full choke to see where it shot. This is the gun I am shooting.
Then I did the same with the MX...bottom and top barrels. I set the POI on the MX close to the CG. (CG 34" un single / Mx 32" o/u) (yes there is a difference between the top and the bottom barrel)
Took the MX to line and maybe have hit 1 target out of ten.
Adjusted it Saturday hit maybe one again.
I have to have the add a rib miss aligned.
It is the 5/8" adjust a rib...
I installed it because I like the stock that I put on the gun for a taller barrel. Couldn't adjust it low enough for the factory rib. Meaning I had no adjustment for under a 120% POI or so.
I'll re pattern it Wednesday and try again.
thanx
Mike
PS...can't through the bore laser in the trash...just got new batteries for it!

·
Perazzi MX10RS
1,941 Posts
Quick and easy way to check straightness is to look through the barrel at a straight edge. A window, door edge, string hanging from ceiling, etc. in bright sunlight. The edge will shade half the length of the bore while the other half will be shiny from the light. The lines separating the two should be straight and parallel. Twist the barrel to check all sides for straigtness. Even tiny bent spots will be easy to spot.

Another way is to knock a primer out of a spent hull. Stick hull in chamber end and shine a flashlight throught the primer hole. Look through the other end of the barrel and inspect the "rings" that are visible. The spaces between the "rings" should be very even all the way around. It's harder to explain than doing it. Easier with 2 people, 1 person to hold the small flashlight against the hull. You can also use a 20ga. hull and do the same thing from the muzzle end.

This is just to verify your barrel is ok.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Quick and easy way to check straightness is to look through the barrel at a straight edge. A window, door edge, string hanging from ceiling, etc. in bright sunlight. The edge will shade half the length of the bore while the other half will be shiny from the light. The lines separating the two should be straight and parallel. Twist the barrel to check all sides for straigtness. Even tiny bent spots will be easy to spot.

Another way is to knock a primer out of a spent hull. Stick hull in chamber end and shine a flashlight throught the primer hole. Look through the other end of the barrel and inspect the "rings" that are visible. The spaces between the "rings" should be very even all the way around. It's harder to explain than doing it. Easier with 2 people, 1 person to hold the small flashlight against the hull. You can also use a 20ga. hull and do the same thing from the muzzle end.

This is just to verify your barrel is ok.
You are the man!

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Shoot it! that's the only way to find out. If you can't be bothered, just shoot it and quit worrying.

It's a lot harder to test than you likely think.

http://www.claytargettesting.com/POI/Point_of_Impact_and_Pattern_Testing_at_13_Yards.pdf

...but that's the only way to answer your question.

You really didn't think that anyone here to could tell you where your gun shoots when you yourself don't know, did you?

The only test for POI is shooting. Lasers are a lazyman's delusion. Throw it away and get serious if you are serious. If you aren't serious about your shooting, just quit worrying; it may shoot OK. And look, in all probability you are never going to go through all it takes to really find out where your gun shoots so why not quit while you are ahead rather than go though some half-assed "test" and think you have learned something you really don't have a clue about.

Neil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts