Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is less than two weeks to dove season in many states. Time to find the camo clothes, check on the dove shell supply (or hit one of the many sales) and get out the hunting shotgun for this year. What will be your dove hunting shotgun(s), favorite dove load, etc.? Anybody breaking out a new shotgun or are you using "old reliable"?

I will be using a Beretta Silver Snipe 12 gauge that has had the mod/full chokes opened up to light modified and 1 ounce trap loads.

Good and safe hunting to everyone.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I'll be using my Browning Twelvette Double Automatic, 28" modified choke and my 1 1/8 oz. handloads.

Ken Rucker

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
We don't have a dove season :-( Seems the second they cross the state line into Michigan they become a song bird and not a game bird. So you are all lucky bastards!!!

IF I could hunt doves I would use my 16 gauge Citori Gran with a 1 oz load of 7 1/2's

Reactions: slayer

·
Registered
850 Posts
Always a hard choice between the Foxes, the Ithaca, the M12 and the SX-1. I suspect all may see use before it is over with. I have found that 1 oz. of 7.5 shot and Hodgdon's International is deadly.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I have, unfortunately, ruined myself for Dove hunting in the US. I went to Argentina last year and shot for 6 days. I shot at least 1000 each day and shot 2015 in one of those days. Pretty hard to stand around out in eastern Oregon for 8 hours to get maybe 20 shots or so.

John

·
Premium Member
5,930 Posts
I will be shooting a 1964 vintage Browning Superposed Lighting 20 ga with IC and Mod chokes. I will be shooting Win AA supersport 1300 fps 7 1/2 ammo. Can't wait.

·
Banned
16,308 Posts
Best season of the year. Hopefully as good as last year.

Rem M-32 F/F with those Herter's 1oz loads from Cabela's.

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
Same here jmac. We shot 29,000+ doves in 3 days. A400 or Benelli M2 in 20 ga, Mod choke.
This season will be a bit anti-climatic.

But, I'm willing to give it a shot!!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Will be using a Winchester M-12 20ga skeet, with #9's , & a lab named Sammy. Should get in 3-4 good evening shoots, before it drops into the 50's & rains.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Can't wait. Cedar Rapids, IA, sunflower field. Benelli 20 gauge , September 6th. Mojo dove decoy and let it rip!

Would love to do Argentina next year.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I will switch between a Benelli super 90 - 12 gauge, 20 gauge Benelli Monefeltro and an old cheap Stoeger side x side.. Its fun to switch guns on the dove hunt. Curios if anyone ever took their BT-99 out to the dove field. Its tempting but Ive not tried it.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
870 28ga that I bought this summer. Love that gun.
We've got some bigger doves around this year. Ring around the neck that a local guy calls collared doves.
I believe they are legal to shoot.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I'm with passport on the dove non hunting situation here in MI.
If I were to go it would be a toss up between my dads sxs 16 or my uncles o/u 20.
Bill

1 - 20 of 34 Posts