Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5E Ithica SBT 1976 mfg, Light primer strikes, will usually fire on 2nd try, may fire 10--20 then misfire may also misfire 2 or 3 in a row. Have tried 3 or 4 different brands of primers--plastics and papers. New shells or reloads. Shell heads not concave (checked with straight edge) firing pin "appears" to be plenty long enough. Gun has been shot very little. Thanks ---Ross Puls

Edit---Win., Rem., Cheddite, & Noble Sport primers, No problems in my pump.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I had the same problem with my 4-E. Took off the trigger plate on the bottom,and cleaned the fireing pin hole out with aresol gunscrubber sprayed through the hole. Seemed to work for me no more missfires. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Taking these things apart is very easy. Just be careful of the screws. Ithaca once sent me every spring in the gun for about three bucks, because they weren't sure which was which. You may find a compressed or broken spring but not likely the hammer spring. Blow out the hole from inside like the other poster suggested.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have a pair of Ithaca Knicks, a 5E manufactured in 1930, and a 7E manufactured in 1929, the 7E left the factory just before the stock market crashed. I shoot both of them once or twice a year, for 2 reasons. First, they are choked .040, so it's fun crushing targets with an 80 year old gun. Second, if I shoot the gun that means that I then have to take it apart and clean/lube before putting it away, which gives me another opportunity to admire the incredible workmanship and artistry that went into them.

I had to have the main hammer spring replaced in my 5E, as it was doing something similar to what you describe. I suspect the PO stored it away for years/decades with it cocked.

Enjoy your 5E -- great guns.

Pete

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pdq: mine is the same, choked tighter than the south end of a north bound bull, and as you say beautiful skilled workmanship, they feel as smooth as warm butter. Who\where did you get yours checked and repaired? Thanks --Ross

oletymer: Methinks maybe you may have a valid point there, anybody that can't spell Ith"A"ca probably shouldn't be allowed to have one. I'll try not to make that mistake again. 20 lashes with that proverbial old wet noodle.GRIN--Ross

·
Registered
956 Posts
Ross:

I had the work done by Vicknair Restorations in Lititz, PA. His specialty is vintage shotguns. He's done excellent work for me, but he's a 1 man operation, so don't give him your gun if you need it back quickly. He doesn't cut corners, so things take longer than expected at times.

Pete

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Dewey Vicknair retired early 2013. I was very pleased with the work Dan Lammers did on my Knick SBT before he left Phoenix

DL Precision
[email protected]
Redding, CA
530-275-5970

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Drew: Thanks for the update on D Vicknair. I will check DL Precision, hoping to find somebody closer to Ga. especially with all I read here on TS about shipping into Cal. Ross

·
Registered
264 Posts
I agree with the assessments above. My 4E Flues(circa 1916) was doing the same thing and had the gentleman in Ithaca, NY send me a couple of main springs and my gunsmith put one in for me. Congrats on the gun. They are very nice shotguns.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Drew:

I had a call from Dewey recently. He decided that his new career wasn't for him and decided to return to gun restorations.

Glad to have him back as a resource.

Pete

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Ross:
If you wish, I will be happy to relieve you of the headaches and nightmares we all experience when having a gun repaired. <:)

PM me to discuss.

Gene in Illinois

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gene: I appreciate your generous offer (GRIN) but I'd just like to get it firing reliably so I can shoot it. Thanks, if I ever do decide to sell it I will most likely post it here on TS. Ross

1 - 20 of 23 Posts