Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure like this Win 101, but it shoots a bit too high. It is the unsingle of a diamond grade 101 dual trap set. It has an adj comb that is set as low a possible and it patterns at about 98% to 2%. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
Well, first question is, what yardage did you establish that, and what do you mean by "98/2?"

Probably better to say "the center of the pattern is XX inches above the point of aim at YY yards. That makes more sense.

Of course, there are some (Harlan Campbell III specifically) who say, if that's what your gun patterns on pattern paper from 27 yards away, you're right where you want to be.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
How high in inches does it shoot? 98/2 is nonsense not just because you have not told us at what distance and how that number was determined, but the whole "percent high" song and dance is just a shibboleth which shooters use to establish their shaky credentials as knowledgeable shotgunners whose pronouncement should be taken seriously dammit! But in fact they shouldn't be taken faintly seriously because they claim to have tested the POI of their gun (though, of course, few to none of them ever really have) and still don't know where it shoots! Whenever a shooter tells you about the point of impact of his gun in % high notation you can be confident that he really has no idea at all and has never seriously tried to find out, since if he had he would simply tell you where it shot and not dredge up all this % high mumbo-jumbo.

Tell us that you shot it several times off a rest at such and such a distance. And let's further hope that the distance you will cite is somewhere near 40 yards (more or less is plenty good enough for this) and tell us that on the average it shot about 8 1/2 or 9 inches high and then we will know where it shoots (and will accept your description of 98/2 as about in the ball park though bizarrely over-specified). But I'll tell you now that you have it wrong unless - and here's the thing that may possibly help you figure out whats' going on - you see a lot of rib when you are shooting this off that bench.

If you will do this, we will have worthwhile advice for you. Until then, we won't, and you should not believe anything we say because we don't know enough to give useful advice at all.

Neil

...and even the touted % high formula of 3 inches = 10% high is not only factually wrong but is so obviously wrong it just underlines how stupid it is.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I accept from your description that you have determined the gun shoots too high for your style of shooting. Several years ago I owned a Diamond Grade unsingle and the point of impact was very high. Fortunately the adjustable comb had ample wood over the holes drilled for the posts to allow working it down. My solution was to carefully file and sand the comb piece down until the gun shot the desired POI and then refinish just the comb piece. Alternatively you could make separate comb piece lower than the original to maintain the originality of the gun. The young man I sold the Diamond Grade to still owns the gun and shoots it very well.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
LOL

Neil's post wasn't even directly aimed at me, but I was cowering under my desk.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have the slightest clue where my gun shoots. I do know however, that when I stay in the gun and do everything I should be doing, it freak'n demolishes targets. Now if I could figure out how to do my part all the time.

I'd say I do my part 95/5% of the time.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
That's good advice, ou.3200, if "Donald Arthur"

1. has actually tested his gun to see where it shoots in some reasonable, reliable way, not just an offhand shot which may or may not accurately represent where it shoots and

2. is seeing a lot of rib when he looks down the gun.

But is sanding the comb good advice

A. he has not really found out where it shoots and face it, his figure, 98/2 is very, very unexpected in its precision and

B. is "stacking the beads" as so many inexperienced shooters would probably try to do based on what they have read here?

In other words, don't we have to know where his odd opinion of where the gun shoots comes from and what view down the gun produced it before we can help him and not just lead him to make some irreversible change to his gun which may not address his problem at all if he even has one?

Yes, the comb may be set as "low as possible" but what if he's lining up the beads now as a result of lowering it? Sanding the comb will just make the gun impossible to shoot since the receiver will then obscure the front bead and we have no way of knowing if Mr. Arthur knows that. After all, if he is working from conventional definitions of % high , he will have to sand the comb down a quarter inch to get it down to what people often think they want.

Until we know a lot more about the POI of this gun and under what conditions that was determined, we can't give any worthwhile advice and risk giving worse counsel than none at all.

Remember that shooting too low, if a competitor has actually found that to be the case, is easily treated by raising the comb or adding Moleskin® or the like, but shooting too high is altogether different and may involve gun changes which cannot be undone or even be impossible to fix.

Neil

·
Registered
967 Posts
Neil

Sorry to hear you had a tough day. But it should get better, since it's likely you won't need to deal with any more questions from Mr. Arthur.

Gary

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Good Grief. If the "98/2" figure isn't enough to let you know it's a bogus post, I'll stand by my gun shooting 84.2/15.8.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Oh come on, Lit! Are you saying that just because an assertion here is impossible it should be considered "bogus"? Doesn't the phrase "song and dance is just a shibboleth which shooters use to establish their shaky credentials as knowledgeable shotgunners whose pronouncement should be taken seriously dammit!" apply to more than a few here and, in the the eyes of many, probably, to you and me?

I, for one, am not going to let a teachable moment slip by just because I am, in all probability, addressing an apparition. After all, who here actually writes to the OP? Who would spend time crafting a public epistle to talk to just one when a PM would do the job just as well? Opening posts are, after all, in the argot of psychology, "ambiguous figures" which we are free to interpret as we will. In this case, you see the hag while I the beautiful girl with the mirror.

Neil

·
Registered
125 Posts
Okay... On a more serious note. I've been shooting trap for almost 3 years now, approx 10-12 rounds per week at local club leagues and practice. Don't really have the time to travel to the bigger shoots. I'm a consistent 23-25 shooter and have and a bunch of 25's a couple 50's and my first 100. I know my gun is set to shoot "high" but not sure exactly. My question is, do I really care?? I'm almost afraid to go to the pattern board. Too much in my head is a bad thing... If the gun shoots where someone looks, does it matter what the board says????
Thanks

1 - 20 of 37 Posts