Trapshooters Forum banner

It looks as though it is starting to slow down

4140 Views 22 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  blackandgold
I went to shoot some five stand today and noticed very few people at the trap houses shooting trap. I have not seen some of the regulars the last few times. I guess that the ammo shortage has hit this region! You can't shoot if you don't have ammo. Right?

Let's hope that the opening of Remington again will get the flow moving. I hope Federal is not far behind. A local dealer said it was more about COVID shutting the plants down than pure hoarding. I think it was a combination of both. Hopefully it will end soon.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
4,990 Posts
Owner said attendance is down at one of the Sporting Clays clubs I shoot at. Sparta Walmart had ammo again today. Crap load of .22 rimfire ammo. Also AA sporting clays ammo (1300 fps stuff), Remington STS in 7 1/2 and 8 shot and a lot of Estate 12 gauge 1 ounce #8 four packs. Seen a guy fill a cart with ammo, said there is none to be had where he lives.

· Registered
13,535 Posts
I wouldn't bank on that. I have told its going to worse before it gets better. The fact remains that the northern shooters are now coming out of there winter homes and want to shoot. So instead of all the ammo going to the warmer states this past winter. Ammo is going to have to be spread out even thinner because of the need in the northern states now as well.
That said we had a near record turnout for Markham Parks NSSA shoot this past Sunday. Even though our clubhouse is totally out of all ammo. I have not seen a Walmart 4 pack for about 2 weeks now. This is a first for me. We always got some in once a week. Not much, but some. Now we have gotten zip for 2 weeks now. I expect its because of the new shells in the new colored boxes? But, I am only guessing.

We have a FFL jobber in Stuart, Fl. who sells ammo to the public and to gun clubs all over Florida and southern Georgia as well. Carl is his name. He has already told us shooters its going to get worse. I have to believe him, as he orders containers of ammo like you and I order dinner at our local restaurant!!! Good Luck to us all. break em all jeff

· Registered
10,445 Posts
Went to 2 Walmart’s, Sportsman Warehouse and Cabelas today, no target ammo at all.
Cabelas did have 3 boxes of 209 primers for 12.99 a box, only primers I saw.
Just nothing out there right now in central KY.

· Banned
2,714 Posts
the hoarders arent shooting much either.. which defeats the purpose of hoarding.
Not true. I am shooting 6 flats a weekend on average. I am trying to get some shooting in during the week too but life is hard right now.

I even bought some shells for a friend (nice guy that I am) who probably won't want them so that's 2 more flats for me!

· Premium Member
295 Posts
Amazing to me that so many people are not stocked up for the long haul. It’s like hand to mouth for many shooters. I would think any trapshooter that has gone to the same shoots over the years would not be prepared. Even at the best of times why wouldn’t you have a large supply of ammo or reloading components.

· Registered
13,015 Posts
I wouldn't bank on that. I have told its going to worse before it gets better. The fact remains that the northern shooters are now coming out of there winter homes and want to shoot. So instead of all the ammo going to the warmer states this past winter. Ammo is going to have to be spread out even thinner because of the need in the northern states now as well.
That said we had a near record turnout for Markham Parks NSSA shoot this past Sunday. Even though our clubhouse is totally out of all ammo. I have not seen a Walmart 4 pack for about 2 weeks now. This is a first for me. We always got some in once a week. Not much, but some. Now we have gotten zip for 2 weeks now. I expect its because of the new shells in the new colored boxes? But, I am only guessing.

We have a FFL jobber in Stuart, Fl. who sells ammo to the public and to gun clubs all over Florida and southern Georgia as well. Carl is his name. He has already told us shooters its going to get worse. I have to believe him, as he orders containers of ammo like you and I order dinner at our local restaurant!!! Good Luck to us all. break em all jeff
Here in the pan handle we haven't seen 4 packs for MONTHS !! All wally World store are BONE DRY ! I had a gut feeling about the shenanigans that might occur during the last election so I stocked up on components and loaded enough for about a year if We don't shoot TOO much. I'm sick of people saying this is all about COVID. Was it a factor? , YES but, the main reason is panic buying and hoarding. I know people who have nearly 50,000 rounds of ammo of all types ! Personally I don't see this easing up for a LONG time. Especially if the Democrats make a huge move on removing gun rights !

· Registered
383 Posts
I agree totally that you can't shoot without ammo. Inflation is starting to hit many due to all the covid money handouts. Couple that with increased in the cost of construction materials, fuel, the affects of the green initiative, among other government meddling. I believe we will see less disposable income for entertainment aka shooting.

· Premium Member
MX 15,Beretta 682, TM 1, MX10
211 Posts
I drove up to Gamaliei on Monday and picked up 8 bags of shot to get me through the season. It only cost me $45.52 a bag plus about $5 a bag for gas.(400 miles round trip).
They had a good supply of shot but only had cheddite and noble sport primers and hardly any powder.

· Registered
153 Posts
One of our local suppliers saw the first shipment of Remington gun clubs arrive a couple weeks ago. Although they didn't last all that long, if Remington can keep delivering it should help. I think their shutdown hurt more than a lot of people realize and put more pressure on the other manufacturers, along with the panic buying. I guess I'm more optimistic but hopefully things will get better soon.

· Registered
644 Posts
My local gun club has Top Gun, Super Target, and Estate for $10, Fiocchi, Field and Clay, and Challenger - $11, and AA's for $13.

You can only buy the same amount of shells as the targets you purchase.

No discounted prices on the purchase of a flat.

I am thinking shells will be plentiful once the public begins to pay these ridiculous prices.

· Registered
13,015 Posts
My local gun club has Top Gun, Super Target, and Estate for $10, Fiocchi, Field and Clay, and Challenger - $11, and AA's for $13.

You can only buy the same amount of shells as the targets you purchase.

No discounted prices on the purchase of a flat.

I am thinking shells will be plentiful once the public begins to pay these ridiculous prices.
At THOSE prices I think a lot of us are either DONE or will shoot VERY ,VERY little. I know I will . Shooters (AND the number of targets thrown ) would drop drastically! I expect prices to increase but, if THOSE prices suddenly become the norm that would be almost DOUBLE for promo loads and about 40 % more than a lot of people have been paying for premium shells ! Yes, shells would BE there EVENTUALLY but ,most working people wouldn't be able to stay in the game at those prices and the kids teams would shrivel up PDQ . Trap shooting would once again become a "rich man's game" as it was in the early 1900s .

· Registered
2,051 Posts
Amazing to me that so many people are not stocked up for the long haul. It’s like hand to mouth for many shooters. I would think any trapshooter that has gone to the same shoots over the years would not be prepared. Even at the best of times why wouldn’t you have a large supply of ammo or reloading components.
A. Some people can't afford to keep a large supply of ammunition.

B. Some people don't live where they can store a lot of shells.

If a shooter can't buy shells as they need them, many are not going to be able to shoot.

· Registered
509 Posts
Not true. I am shooting 6 flats a weekend on average. I am trying to get some shooting in during the week too but life is hard right now.

I even bought some shells for a friend (nice guy that I am) who probably won't want them so that's 2 more flats for me!
WOW! 6 flats a weekend??? I would hate to see your annual ammo bill.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.