Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a production calibration release engineer (retired).
The "government" (DOT) insisted more than a few years ago that ALL operating software in our (all vehicles sold in the USA!) have a "backdoor" to disable any particular vehicle on the road!
(we all know "onstar" can and does disable stolen veihcles, remotely)
This is part of the "backdoor" software the Dept. of Trans. forced on all vehicle manufacturers!!

So here is the question!?? Surely MILITARY vehicles (that also have very complicated operating software)
must have a "backdoor" disabler!!!! It not, why not!
And if they do, why are ISIS fighters rolling around in OUR HUVEES and TANKS!!

Why are they not "disabled"?
The software must exists.

Enquiringly minds want to know!! Why have we not disabled "electronically" any equipment that gets captured!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,641 Posts
I don't know this but I suspect that military vehicles don't have this "backdoor" feature because it would be undesirable for an enemy to be able to hack into it and shut them down. Personally, I believe it undesirable for the government to be able to do such to my vehicles.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
If the African had any desire to disable any vehicle ISIS has of ours it would have already been done.

Can you say A-10, F-16, Apache helicopter, a marine with a shoulder fired missile ?

We have plenty of back doors, just no desire to open them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've heard of cars being disable without the owners permission - it might be an effective method to get deadbeats to send in car payments? I'm not sure our troops should be out and about in vehicles that can be stopped either through an inadvertent error or an enemy's deliberate act.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts