Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been doing this for a few months now, so bear with me.

During the open practice trap Sunday morning I got to shoot 5 rounds of singles. It was fairly relaxed and we were not keeping score, but my first 3 rounds were kind of shaky (I'd guess 2-3 misses from each station) - but as time went on I was hitting infinitely better. My 5th and last round was definitely the best. It's almost like If I threw out my first 3 rounds, and shot 4 more - the score would be much better.

Is this beginner stuff - or "normal" warm up stuff ?

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
Beginner issue mostly.

Once you shoot a lot, you should be able to go out and break a 25 on the first round. Granted, this takes thousands and thousands of rounds to get to that point. NO I don't do that every time I go out either...but it happens much more often than it ever did when I was starting out. I don't shoot practice anymore. I shoot on average of 1000 rounds a week registered, and find practice is a waste of time and money.

Hang in there, keep shooting and it will come. As a good friend of mine tells me all the time, "you need to shoot more"

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
if you can drive 500 miles, get out of the car, sign into a field youve never shot on before, load your gun, and run em....youre more a man than me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I kind of figured - most of the long time shooters at our club rarely "practice" per se.

I could have "the gun" issue solved - this 725 fits me extremely well. Once I figured out the cheek contact position - it comes up to the same sight picture every time I mount it. I love it - and after ~500 rounds, the stiffness is starting to subside.

It's the whole process: mount, come to a flexible stance, hold point, call, move to target, shoot, follow through - there's a lot going on there. Getting it right every time - that seems to be the crux of this biscuit.

Shooting more seems like the path forward. Sunday was the first time I broke all 5 from #5 - most of them shooting way right. What a rush - I usually suck on that side!

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
I like to warm up simply because when I'm out of town shooting I'm more than likely to be shooting on a new field, with a new background and simply a different environment than I'm used too. It only behooves one to get a feel for the fields you will be shooting on.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Well said LadyT
John U
If the background & lighting is different from the fields or field you will be shooting --IMHO its a waste of time

Instance --practicing on the practice field @ the Silver $ @ 9AM & you're shooting on the Golf side @ 12:00

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
There's a lot you can do at home and many top shooters do some or all of them as well. Practice foot position, stance, gun mount, looking and moving to the target which can be spots on the wall. Do a 100 of those a couple times a week and twenty five times before you drive the club and see what happens, you may be surprised.

Surfer

·
Banned
197 Posts
I'm still a new shooter but I know that practicing before shooting registered helps gets me warmed up and settled down. I also would rather shoot practice rounds instead of standing around and waiting for my squad to shoot. I really enjoy shooting so I don't mind shooting all day.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
In most sports people warm up before they actually start participating. I never saw a golfer get out of his car and just tee up? Same thing with baseball and football players etc. For most of us if we miss a weekend of shooting it shows up in our scores.

I know a few who can take off a year from shooting and break 25 straights without missing a beat, but those are few. My suggestion is to get in a normal routine for you and attempt to stick to it as the shooting sports is repetition. Pattern your gun and if it shoots where you look, spend your money on practice and good consistent scores will come more often. Yes it's beginner stuff and for most it is normal.
Good luck to you,
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
581 Posts
I like to warm up my body 1/2 hour before I hit the line but I feel practice on shoot day is just extra energy wasted.I know I have a certain amount of really focused concentration a day.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
If you read interviews with a number of top shooters, they suggest a warm up round before an event, were talking about guy's who are shooting weekly.

Surfer

·
Registered
360 Posts
I make it a point to shoot a practice round before a registered event. At the very least I will watch a few practice rounds to see what the targets look like vs background of it's somewhere I've never shot before.

Also, running 25 in practice in a new place will give you confidence in shooting the program.

Most of all, I just love shooting and try to practice as much as I can afford. At the Autumn grand(my first big shoot) we shot almost as much practice rounds as the program. It gets boring waiting around for your squad to come up.

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
How does one shoot 1000 rounds per week? Just curious.
You go to an ATA shoot every weekend. Shot 1100 last weekend. This week will be a little less, only going to get in 600. Why is that hard to understand?

·
Registered
168 Posts
A round of practice before singles to get the rhythm and then a few shots before handicap to slow my move down to the target. Otherwise just watch a few targets during the squad ahead of me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts