Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ran into a shotgun wad shortage to reload so I went to the gun range and picked up some wads that were laying on the range, cleaned them up and dried them out. Now is it safe to reload them?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Targetmaster,
I did the same thing about 30 yrs ago. They shoot OK. I ran them through the washing machine in a laundry bag. Mom was not too pleased.

regards,

Todd / Illinois

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
There is a component shortage, but wads are not in short supply. Mark

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
40 years ago we all picked up wads. The plastic seemed less destructible then. Not so now.

We picked up plastic over powder wads and cork filler wads 50 years ago. Our backs are 50 years older now!!

·
Supporting Vendor
9,952 Posts
I remember when I was a kid working at the gun clubs and we would laugh at the old depression era folks that would comb the fields for spent wads. They were like, less that a penny a piece. It just seemed mind boggling how petty it was and the time they spent (not to mention it was killing those old farts backs) for so little actual savings. The irony was that these guys weren't by any means hurting financially.

Just saying.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
It takes all kinds. Excuse me now, I'm heading to the local sewer plant to get me some used TP.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nothing wrong with it at all. Recoil will be a little more noticeable, but tolerable. Just make sure the powder cup hasn't got any deformation and pillars between shot/powder cup are still intact. Wash them with lite detergent and put in pillow case in dryer on low heat. Will work fine for singles.
Jeff

·
Registered
906 Posts
Different wads can result in different pressures and unless you know exactly what kind of wad you are collecting and use an approved recipe for that wad you might have problems. JPM

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in a little town that is 50 miles each way to get reloading supplies, I have everything but wads so I did'nt want to make a special trip just for wads. And you all know if you reload long enough you know what each wad looks like be rem, win, or whatever, I was 99 percent sure it was fine I just wanted you guys opinion

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
When the plastic wads first came out. Arnold Riegger told me he went out after some of the shoots and picked them up. If the skirt was good, he used them again. They must have been OK?

Ajax

·
Registered
218 Posts
Over forty-five years ago I picked up wads and reused them because I could not afford new ones. Shot them on the 16 yard line and they worked fine. In addition I used candle wax to seal the defective crimped re-loads as I got 110% out of the plastic hulls I reloaded. Every penny was hard to get so I had to use what we could afford during those days.

Roger Smith Wichita, KS

·
Registered
142 Posts
When we came home from the service in the late 60's and early 70's none of us had very much money. Some guys from the local steel mill built a trap range and none of us had ever shot trap either. We went to the range and asked if we could shoot with them. A couple of the guys had reloaded some shells before and asked about the used wads. They told us we were welcome to pick them up so we did and the guys that reloaded used them for years and never had any problems with them. I think that almost all of them at that time were AA's.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Well I surely feel even more fortunate to be shooting now. Takes threads like this to bring some back to reality.

Im half tempted to start digging the lead by hand at our club, buying a harbor freight mixer and cleaning and polishing some lead.

Thank you Folks for the check,

Brady Gies

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I wait until Cabelas has free shipping and order 5000 wads delivered to my door. Mark

·
Registered
278 Posts
I heard a story years back about a shooter who was asked why he reloaded. His answer...."I can shoot twice as much before I go broke."

·
Registered
227 Posts
gritatin you are an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Targermaster asked a civil question and deserves a civil answer.
IMO guys like you ruin this forum.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts