Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
perezal_2013_150411.jpg

Is this normal or is something wrong with my shotgun? It does not happen all the time just once in a while.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
That can correlate to 1) autoloaders and 2) very mild loads and 3) certain powders. Nothing I'd be concerned about except I only reload pretty empties.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Interesting! Don't shoot an Auto but I think all my hulls have a burn mark on one side. Nearly all my reloads are very mild low recoil loads.

My question is why & what causes the burn mark with low pressure, low velocity
loads?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
The low pressure causes the powder to be still burning as it exits the hull, also the low pressure does not open up the crimp completely causing burning gas to blow back and burn the hull.

Not an expert, but seems logical to me and I want to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Sparta, for the Grand. ;)

Jason

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
You didn't mention how many loadings result in the hull looking like that. If it is just one then I would say you might want to look into a faster burning powder and/or a heavier powder charge.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Whatever causes the burn seems to do no harm to the hull since I've fired & reloaded thousands of my hulls & all seem to have burn marks to some extent.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This was a once fired hull, and it didn't look like that when I loaded it. We shot 100 of these shells and I reloaded them with 7/8oz lead #7.5, TGT-12 WAD, 21.2g of International Clays, WIN209 Primer. 8700psi / 1350fps. from the 100 shells I loaded I got maybe 5 that look like this.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I would definately go with a faster burning powder for the 7/8 Oz load. CLAYS if you could get it or Red Dot/PROMO or 700X .... something along those lines.

Also any particular reason you want the high velocity?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will try to get some Clays or Red Dot. I like the high velocity when using 7/8 loads. It turns the clays to dust when I hot them. Never tried anything slower than 1300fps for 7/8oz loads.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Not sure the cause, but every Remington game load, 1oz 1290, I've ever seen had these marks. These shells are the ones that look exactly like gun clubs except for the color. Garrett

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
"Not sure the cause, but every Remington game load, 1oz 1290, I've ever seen had these marks. These shells are the ones that look exactly like gun clubs except for the color." Garrett

And they're a 6 point crimp.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I've seen brand new shells come out like that. Not really uncommon to see that on reloads either. Changing powders might help, but I don't worry about it, since it does not seem to have any adverse effect on the performance. When the crimps get worn/weak, I toss them. Even sooner if something else looks wrong. As long as the hull is not weakened, it's just a cosmetic thing.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Every "new" shell that comes out of my BT 99 looks likes that picture. So I would say it just normal.

Doesn't matter what brand either.

·
Registered
452 Posts
"Not sure the cause, but every Remington game load, 1oz 1290, I've ever seen had these marks. These shells are the ones that look exactly like gun clubs except for the color." Garrett

"And they're a 6 point crimp."

Blizzard, not the ones I have. They are all 8-pt crimps, and load exactly like Gun Clubs. I have probably 3,000 of thes hulls that I bought and shot a couple years ago. Garrett

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
An exception I have found is in the loading and firing of the old style AA. The pattern with them is a fairly uniform Blacking/browning of the crimp area. It seems the old plastic used by winchester was a bit more resistant to the burning seen on the newer hulls.......... Larry

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Actually, now that I think about it, the ones I bought a month ago or so were 7/8 oz game loads. They were black, but most definitely had 6 pt. crimps.

I LOVED the way they shot. They would be my go to "new" shell, but I reload so, oh well.

I wish they were still 8 pt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts