Trapshooters Forum banner

Is this a good way to set up the wad depth?

1537 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  fastarget
AA hulls, Int clays 18.0 , 9/8 0z, Downrange DXL1 1/8 blue. Dillon 900sl.

We started loading, at pre crimp station , empty out the shot, mark the wad insertion depth on the hull and use a pen to place light pressure on the wad, kept doing that until the wad would move slightly enough to show a thin space between our mark and final depth. Offcourse some hulls accommodated the wad and shot to proper depth right away, but most would still allow movement. Adjusted until they all seated the same.

Good method ? or some other adjustments needed? On the old MEC we looked for a slight bump, Dillon not so....Thank you.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
13,537 Posts
I personally like to see the needle move to just under 30 lbs of pressure. If the needle does not move during the downstroke. I know something is not right before I move on. I check the needle, primer and bar on every stroke of the handle. Then make sure the primer drops into -position before I start the next hull. Just my little quirk. If I change out hulls I'll re-set the drop tube to show like 20 lbs of pressure again. Its not really needed, but I know there is powder under the wad this way for each shell. break em all jeff

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, ok , that is perfect, I am leaving about 1mm of movement so the wad is not crushed. Good to know the crimp die will settle it properly. The crimps are looking good and consistent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.