Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never done any reloading so keep this in mind.

If I want a 12 gauge 1 1/8 oz at 1075FPS but can only find a recipe for a 1150FPS load would it be ok to reduce the powder load from , hypothetically , 16.5 grains to 15.5 grains? Not sure I would get to exactly 1075FPS but it would be a milder load.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Depends on the powder.... pressure changes may not burn very clean.. I split loads up if there is data under what i want and over what i want.... shoot for the middle. There are more experienced people than me here that i hope speaks up... i have loaded over 45 years, just don't to far away from proven load data..

·
Supporting Vendor
5,828 Posts
Most folks opt for a 1 ounce load to reduce recoil. You can find data on 1 ounce loads at 1125 fps. A 1 ounce load at 1180 fps will feel better than 1-1/8 ounce at 1075 fps.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
This warning refers to RIFLE reloading. There have been issues stated where UNDER loads of slow burning powder in larger volume rifle cases are strongly suspected to be responsible for pressure excursions which were high enough to damage or even destroy the firearm. I am not aware of, but that does NOT mean that there none, similar excursions in shotgun loading, at least in the clay target range of loads and velocities.

If you are looking for lower velocity loads as a way to reduce recoil. you would be better served to reduce shot charges to 1 oz. or even 7/8 Oz. There are many loads published for these shot weights and, especially at legal target load velocities, the recoil is substantially less than 1 1/8 Oz. loads. Terminal target performance with 1 or 7/8 Oz. loads when used at 16 yards will be more than adequate.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Pressure wise you will lower the pressure along with the velocity. The problem arises when the pressure is too low. You can get irregular ignition of the powder. Worst case scenario you get a blooper, are embarrassed so quickly reload to shoot, but the wad has not cleared the barrel. This is a recipe for a disaster.

If it is recoil reduction you are after, do as pyrdek suggest drop the shot to 1 oz or 7/8 oz.

Jason

·
Premium Member
5,917 Posts
Keeping in mind that you have never done any reloading, my advice would be that you not deviate from a published recipe. Others have assumed you are looking for reduced recoil but I don't believe you ever stated just why it is you want to reduce the velocity of the load to 1075. So, I will ask the question directly: just why do you want to reduce the velocity?

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
If you reduce the listed powder charge by 1 grain and fire that shell in
your gun, the Moon will leave orbit and crash into the Earth. I do it
all the time. HMB

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keeping in mind that you have never done any reloading, my advice would be that you not deviate from a published recipe. Others have assumed you are looking for reduced recoil but I don't believe you ever stated just why it is you want to reduce the velocity of the load to 1075. So, I will ask the question directly: just why do you want to reduce the velocity?
Here is where I am; due to a long ago operation the right side of my jaw is unique ( I shoot right handed). So I am susceptible to cheek slap. I am shooting a 8+ lbs O/U with a soft, adjustable, comb. Shooting Winchester 7/8oz subsonic loads in this gun makes shooting 100 rounds a day doable.

I do, however wonder how much I am giving up, results wise, by not shooting 1 1/8 or even 1oz loads.

So I am constantly searching for the extra 1/8 to 1/4 oz I'm giving up , in a load that I can shoot comfortably.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts