Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I know many people are completely happy with the 3 games we have in trap. I know that the ATA tried to get interest in 27 yd doubles and it didn't catch on. That being said I wonder if an event like 28 Ga. or .410 from the 16 yd. like might work. I know I really don't care for singles that much. I would love to see a wobble event but that would add extra cost to the clubs and many are barely making ends meet now. The 28 0r .410 event wouldn't add any extra cost to the club itself. I know some would have no interest in it but, I do know some shooters have expressed interest and it has been talked about within the ATA.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
If you don't reload, 28 and 410 shells are prohibitively expensive. If you do reload, fired hulls are hard to come by. The ones that are available get gobbled up by the skeet and sporting clays shooters.

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
I tried to get Porch--Buddy--Doubles in but they just said save it for the fun shoots ;) I guess there are a lot of factors that come into play from added cost/how much to fit into a day/to some few whole would be concerned about OK would this effect my overall ave.? Myself I enjoy shotgun shooting so have fun with almost anything.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Yes there is. 1 oz max rule. That experiment would be interesting. In singles and doubles, there wouldn't be much change in scores, but in hdcp, there would be.
That's the discipline that some are whining about long yardage/experienced shooters dominating the event. That would certainly change the long yardage scores.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
PITA is trying an added event to their monthly multiplex shoots. It is 50 subgauge singles. No handicap for shooting 28 or 410, so most will probably shoot 20 gauge. Just pay for targets and it pays Lewis class. We'll see if it catches on.

·
Registered
32,255 Posts
I would like to see an event of 50 birds thrown by a wobble trap or a trap set to extreme angles, speed and distance with two rounds per target. Sort of a modified bunker/international event. Cut the cut doubles down to 5p targets events to allow for a 4th event.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I don't think the sub gauges have done anything for skeet except make it expensive. I don't believe this is the answer.

·
Registered
32,255 Posts
Perhaps a poll should be started to see if a number of people really would be interested in sub guages. I know I would not, not willing to drop another fortune in guns and ammo for different gauges.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I shot fast wobble from the 20 yard line with 2 shots. It was a LOT of fun:) No specialized equipment and everyone had big smiles when we were done.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So would it be true 410 or 28 or would tubed 12's be allowed?
I think it wouldn't matter. At least not to me. The results would be the same. Tubes would be cheaper than buying new guns.To me it would be a way to get some fun into the game. I never was interested in a walk through the woods Sporting Clays deal.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
DTL or Down the Line is fun. True 3-hole targets, 44 mph target speed. Two shots. One ounce load maximum.

Three points for a broken target on the first shot, two points for the second shot. Perfect score for 100 targets is 300 points.

Popular in Europe, South Africa, Australia.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Be bold, go with 7/8, that way the crybabies cannot cry about having to spend money. If hot 7/8's are to much, use the lower velocity 7/8 loads already available. Trying to go straight to 20 or 28 will start an avalanche of crybabies, that will threaten to quit before they will buy another gun.

Trying to start another game with ATA mentality will fail.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I think 7/8 Once and maybe a "Down the line" has some merit. Doubles has few supporters, as compared to singles, maybe it the cost or its the same shots all the time, just like skeet...boring. So dump doubles and go with the two shot DTL with extra hard lefts and rights, more speed and keep the interrupter moving so it's not like skeet.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
The feasibility of adding a 4th event is in question since most one day shoots are pushed for time working in two or three events. Going to one ounce loads might add a new challenge to existing ATA events but possibly adds more advantage to short yardage shooters.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
2-3-4-5 hole 16 yd. event. We shoot 'em here in PA and their real challenging. Those 5-hole right angles twist you out of your shoes. Everybody is equal too!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I don't think adding another event to an ATA shoot is feasible as there are plenty of clubs that throw these kind of fun and game shoots already.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts