Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some opinions. Should a guy worry about storing his shootin iron in a factory hard case (or equivalent) for extended periods of time? I’ve seen it said that the case’s lining rubbed off some of the bluing or the case caused rust or pitting to occur.

Ready... set... go!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
My 6 yr old DT-11 has always been stored in its case. It stays in the truck about 90% of the time. When I get done shooting, I run a cat tail or snake down the barrel and wipe all the steel down with a damp Qmaxx cloth. After a big shoot, I give it a good clean and back in the case it goes.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I think some of the better cases like Negrini or Americase are no problem if you remember to wipe the gun down with a silicon gun wipe. The cases I have had issues with are the inexpensive hard cases with the convoluted foam to protect the gun. I think the foam attracts moisture making rust more likely.

·
Premium Member
19,416 Posts
I keep a couple of my guns in cases. Our climate here in the Texas Panhandle is so friggin' dry.

Reactions: 460Ford

·
Registered
337 Posts
I’ve left guns in the case for extended periods of time. The only thing you need to do is make sure that they are wiped with a thin coat of oil , and that you remove any moisture that might have gotten on them. Also don’t forget to put the rag that you wiped the water off in a plastic sealed bag if you store it in your case .

·
Registered
143 Posts
gravity sucks and oil will go to the lowest point, I bought a browning 725 in a hard case and the previous owner put paper towels under the oily/greasy parts to save the case, for long term ALL my rifles are stored barrel down all the oil runs away from the wood, pistols are grip up

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
gravity sucks and oil will go to the lowest point, I bought a browning 725 in a hard case and the previous owner put paper towels under the oily/greasy parts to save the case, for long term ALL my rifles are stored barrel down all the oil runs away from the wood, pistols are grip up
What oil? My guns don't use oil.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
My Broadway sat in it's Hartman case under my bed for 28 years with no ill effects. Didn't even clean it when I put it away when I quit shooting in 1984.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I have one of those SKB hybrid take down cases my citori lives in during this time of year. When one shoots 4 nights a week on a slow week, why bring it in. Wipe all the old gunk off after a shoot. Add new grease before a shoot. A big sunday shoot I bring it in and will clean it up. My shell bag comes In from the truck the most. Always putting more reloads in there, Cleaning glasses and ear protection.

·
Registered
64 Posts
In a quality case with a properly protected gun, no problems here. It's the foam cases that can cause problems. They absorb oil and moisture and can cause rust in my climate.

Also don't forget about temperature changes! They can cause dew to form and if not protected, this can cause rust.

I store in my cabinet and in a case. No issues yet.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
I stored a new O/U in a foam lined plastic case for a while when I was moving, and getting resettled. It was lightly oiled when I put it in the brand new case. There must have been some chemical reaction as the egg crate pattern on the case foam left cloudy spots in the bluing. It did not cause rust, but the slight cloudy pattern of the foam was still visible in good lighting a few years latter. I have left a gun for a few weeks in an Americase, and nothing happened, I guess the velvet upholstery keeps anything in the foam padding away from the barrel.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The most expensive shotgun I've ever owned was a Beretta side-by-side field gun. Beretta recommended that it be stored in the hard case that it came in at all times when not in use.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts