Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing lots of research for a new over & under shotgun to use for 60% sporting clay and 40% trap use, and had just about decided on the Browning Citori 725 High Rib Sporting Adjustable, and was comparing prices when I ran into the Guns Unlimited Citori Special Sporting w/Adjustable Rib.

From Guns Unlimited I can buy Citori Special Sporting w/Adjustable Rib and add an adjustable comb, and even the Gracoil for a total of $2844. I'm not sure what type of deal I can get on the Browning Citori 725 High Rib Sporting Adjustable yet, but it retails for $3679 (no Gracoil).

Is there any reason not to buy the Guns Unlimited Citori Special Sporting w/Adjustable Rib with adjustable comb, and Gracoil for $2844 if it's within my budget?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I am not familiar with that Guns unlimited version, but it sounds like the Crossover, which was, the sporting special, and is now the CX.
My 2014 Citori has over 60000 rounds, I have finally changed the firing pins.
My 725 is fairly new, only 8000 through it. It seems to be a very well built gun also.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
There is no reason to buy the 725 over the Special Sporting. You're better off with an aftermarket comb than Brownings junk factory job.
If it’s GU it’ll have Gracoil hardware, including comb.
I've been doing lots of research for a new over & under shotgun to use for 60% sporting clay and 40% trap use, and had just about decided on the Browning Citori 725 High Rib Sporting Adjustable, and was comparing prices when I ran into the Guns Unlimited Citori Special Sporting w/Adjustable Rib.

From Guns Unlimited I can buy Citori Special Sporting w/Adjustable Rib and add an adjustable comb, and even the Gracoil for a total of $2844. I'm not sure what type of deal I can get on the Browning Citori 725 High Rib Sporting Adjustable yet, but it retails for $3679 (no Gracoil).

Is there any reason not to buy the Guns Unlimited Citori Special Sporting w/Adjustable Rib with adjustable comb, and Gracoil for $2844 if it's within my budget?
The special sporting will fit the bill.
Personally, I’d forgo the Gracoil reducer unless recoil is a concern. Definitely get the adjustable comb.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Love my special sporting but my stock guy says their adj. ccmbs are cheap just get a regular one and have someone do a good job. It is a great gun.

·
What squad am I on?
8,040 Posts
The new adjustable guns being offered from GU, how many have actually called and talked with them? What did they tell you about the adjustable combs?

All of the new ADJUSTABLE RIB GUNS come from the factory WITHOUT a cut comb. The cost is $195 to cut it and install the GRACOIL comb hardware.

Sorry if I sound like I'm yelling but there's a lot of misconceptions about the hardware being offered on these guns and all it takes is a simple call. Less than three minutes on the phone and they'll answer 100% of your questions, EXCELLENT people to deal with!!!

·
Perazzi MX10RS
2,023 Posts
Your correct Wad, in relation to GU. Also, Browning FACTORY stopped using their crappy proprietary hardware 2 years ago. They now use Graco. Browning still uses a piece of sh!t recoil pad, but at least that's easy to change.

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
Well its nice to hear that Browning has finally changed there comb hardware. There old one's were junk!!!

I have to "assume" that the newer Gracoil hardware is better. For those who have it. How good is it? Does it stay put? How about some pictures of the unit to prove it? I still felt like Skeet_man until this post, but am still not convinced? So now, Try to Convince me its better?

Augustine----If you really want a shotgun for mostly Sporting Clays. Your better off with a fixed rib shotgun IMO. Set up with a 60/40 POI. Try to shoot both a high rib shotgun and low rib shotgun, to find out what works better for you. Many Sporting Clay shooters have gone back to the low rib shotguns, after buying a high rib. But, some still prefer the higher rib. So, Try both style ribs and then buy what you like.
You can't shoot Sporting Clay's and float targets like a trap shooter. So there is zero reason to buy a more expensive/easier to break adjustable rib shotgun to shoot Sporting Clay's with. Remember, all Trap shooters shot Trap with flat shooting guns up until about 15 years ago. So is it really needed in Trap? break em all Jeff

·
Registered
14,144 Posts
Browning has changed their hardware, and it may be being produced by Graco (I'm kinda of dubious of this, adjustable comb hardware is not rocket science, so why would Browning buy a retail product when they could go to machine job shop and have the exact same thing reproduced much cheaper?), but certainly isn't traditional adjustable comb hardware like these:

This is the newest Browning adjustable comb:

Note the set screws in the stock and not the comb, opposite of a vast majority of adjustable combs (although not unheard of), and the set screws set wider than the posts (which is extremely odd). I'd be interesting to see the hardware out of the stock, but to me it looks like it's probably another overengineered piece of junk, even if the quality of production has improved the best production in the world can't overcome a crap design.

·
What squad am I on?
8,040 Posts
Most all hardware failures boil down to gorilla hands.

and the set screws set wider than the posts (which is extremely odd).
The set screws don't push against the posts to secure it, they thread into the base, thus squeezing the post to secure it's position. The comb actually settles into the stock whereas a traditional comb sits on the posts.

This is JUST an example and NOT from a Browning but I'm making an assumption that this is why the screws are offset. The ad on GU's website shows the adjustable models (the ones actually being discussed on this thread) with screw holes in the comb though.

squeezeplay.jpg

·
Registered
14,144 Posts
The ad on GU's website shows the adjustable models (the ones actually being discussed on this thread) with screw holes in the comb though.
So it is quite possible and likely probable that GU is ordering their guns with no adjustable comb and having them done after they receive them. Smart.

·
What squad am I on?
8,040 Posts
So it is quite possible and likely probable that GU is ordering their guns with no adjustable comb and having them done after they receive them. Smart.
That is precisely what they're doing with all of the adjustable rib models. I spoke with them this morning to confirm.

All of the new ADJUSTABLE RIB GUNS come from the factory WITHOUT a cut comb. The cost is $195 to cut it and install the GRACO comb hardware.

·
Registered
14,144 Posts
That is precisely what they're doing with all of the adjustable rib models. I spoke with them this morning to confirm.
I would assume based on the strength of that even GU agrees the Browning hardware is inferior to whatever aftermarket hardware they're using...

·
Perazzi MX10RS
2,023 Posts
I would assume based on the strength of that even GU agrees the Browning hardware is inferior to whatever aftermarket hardware they're using...
Business wise, GU makes more money off having their own gunsmith install comb hardware and Gracoil systems. They can also make a sale of a gun without those options to people who may not want to spend the few extra hundred or just don't want the adjustability in the first place. It's a win-win for GU.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sounds like a winner, good its a great gun.

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
Exactly what happens. The guns go directly from Browning to the gunsmith, get adjustable combs installed and only then go to GU.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm very close to buying the Guns Unlimited Citori Special Sporting w/Adjustable Rib. It just seems like a good value when considering the fact I'm getting so much gun for my money. It's a beautiful gun, and even with the adjustable rib, adjustable comb, and the Gracoil recoil reducer system, it's still reasonably priced. I'm going have a someone local help me with the adjustments and fit me to the gun.

I just need to decide if I want a 30" or 32" barrel.... Cit 5.png Cit 4.png Cit 3.png

Attachments

·
Banned
531 Posts
Its a great gun and the value from GU seems hard to beat!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts